|Here is my latest version of Marcy Tilton's simple t-top. I've made this one a few times before, but this time, I made some major changes. |
Fitted, pullover tops, A, B, C, D with darted neckbands. A: Contrast sleeve and neck band, lower edge of sleeve is raw-finished. B, C: Three-quarter length sleeves, C: pleats over front neck darts, decorative buttons. D: darts on outside of neck band and lower edge of sleeves.
I made a modified version of view B.
I love the raglan-style sleeves.
I've made this pattern a few times and this is the first time I've used this stretchy of a fabric. I started with a 14 and added about 1/2" at the waistline and hips as I didn't want it too snug. I wanted it to skim my body rather than be fitted as the pattern suggests.
For my top, I combined two fabrics. The floral stripe is a panel that was narrower than the standard 60 ish inches and only a little over 1/2 yard. I matched the purple in the floral to the solid I used in the color-blocked sections. I purchased both pieces at Treadle Yard Goods in St Paul, Minnesota. The floral/stripe is super high quality and beautiful to work with. The solid seemed a little higher grade than ordinary, but not something to get super excited about. The sleeves were cut from additional stripes that ran above the floral section. I cut that section off and used it for the sleeves.
Does the finished garment look like the pattern envelope?
No, not really, and that was totally intentional.
Modifications/alterations to the pattern:
1. I cut the three pattern pieces used in this top (front, back, sleeves) into three sections using the armhole as a guide.
2. From these three pieces, I added seam allowances and cut the two pieces of fabric and sewed them into one piece that fit the pattern pieces.
3. I lowered the neckline about 3 inches. It is pretty high.
4. I added narrow binding at the neckline, sleeves, and hem. I was only going to do this at the neckline but with this fabric it didn't lay as nice as I wanted it to when I hemmed it, so binding was cut and applied.
5. As I mentioned earlier, I added about 1/2" total to the waistline and hip area. I wanted this more skimming than fitted.
I really like this basic t-shirt pattern. It is comfortable and you can be super creative with it! It seems well drafted as everything lines up well.
I had a lot of fun creating this top. DH said this brought a new level of creativity that he hasn't seen before, so that makes me want to try more color blocking! If I try combining a stripe and floral again, I think I will have the stripe on the sleeve start about 1 inch higher than I have it here.
Thanks for reading!
More photos at my blog including the inspiration tops: Ilove2sew!