|This is the second bra that I've sewn (well, I sewed two versions of the Shelley pattern from the Pin Up Girls, which resulted in only one bra, as the first was too small)!|
Again, like I said for my first attempts, the sewing part was relatively easy, even for a beginner sewist, however, the fitting is a big challenge. Made more challenging as I sewed this bra for my mum, who lives out of town.
The pattern calls for a lace portion of the upper cups, but I didn't like the colour match of the lace that I had ordered. So I used the awesome hot pink duoplex for the entire cup, remembering to cut a seam (hem?) allowance for that upper cup, so that I could turn it over and sew it down.
My mum has been wearing the wrong bra size most of her life, as far as I can figure. She was wearing a non-wired 34B, that was cut more like a bralette along the bottom (completely straight line). I was able to pull the band away from her back, leaving a 6 inch gap. And it was obvious that the cups were too small.
I made a trial bra, in a 32C. Not sure why I started with a C, bec the 34B was too small in the cup....not surprisingly, neither the underwire nor the cup fit.
I decided to make a 32D, but had to shorten the band again, after the first fitting - significantly and possibly too much...sigh....
She hasn't had her final fitting, and I'm worried that it might be a bit small in the cups still, though when I look at her measurements, on paper they should fit. However, the joys of measuring in an ill fitting bra, plus dealing with the joys of age.
I find sewing the eye and hook to be difficult! I used a zipper foot and kept the metal up (so as to not get stuck in the feed dog), but kept misaligning it, having to then stitch rip and resew.
I probably should have used matching thread to tack down the hook and eyes on the edge - Mum is sensitive to irritants like tags, and I found the sealed edges of the hook and eyes to be pokey.
Here is the back view:
I am looking forward to making more of these bras!