Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4491 (Medieval costume)

Reviewed by:BenaeQuee

Pattern Photo:McCall's 4491
McCall's Pattern Info

More Info provided by BenaeQuee

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
See other patterns in this category: Costumes
Fabric:Brocade  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
Lined dresses have princess line, close fitting bust, scoop neckline, sleeve variations, laced band back closure, optional purchased trim and sweep hemline; dress D has contrasting lined sleeves.

Pattern Sizing:
6-8-10-12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Not really, only because I was using it as a base for my own design. I made mine unlined. However, I will say that the dress drawing looks more full in the skirt than the pattern actually sews up as. If you want a fuller hem line, flare out the bottom more from the knee down. I didn't have enough fabric to do so. If you do want more fullness, allow 9-10 yards of fabric (60") for patterned fabric like mine. Plain fabric could probably get away with 7-8 yards (60" wide) easily.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I only used them for the gussets as I've never sewn them before. I just took a look at them though, and they look easy enough for some one who needs them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The pattern pieces are short. If you are 5'6" or taller (I'm 5'7") you WILL want to lengthen them. I had to add about 2" to mine for a floor length gown.

Fabric Used:
Poly Damask in a Purple/Old Gold weave, Poly Shantung for a scarf, and cotton voille for the petti-skirt.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I cut new princess seams starting mid shoulder going down. This was done in both the front and the back. I changed the neckline from a rounded one to an angled one. The front was also cut so that it was open. I altered the center back pieces so that they just had a closed seam instead of the lacing closure. I then adjusted the back and shoulders while I was wearing it for a better fit as the pattern adjustments caused some gaping in those areas. I did not use the bottom sleeve pattern piece (didn't have enough fabric left). I did use the top piece, but altered it very slightly for fit, I also used the underarm gusset as it makes the sleeve fit and move so much better. It's not a hard piece to insert and does help the overall fit of the garment.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Heck yes! I have a few more ideas I want to do and it was so easy and quick to put together. The fabric cutting is what takes the longest.

Conclusion:
Use this pattern. It's a great pattern and has a few options for overall looks.

Costume Page
Front On
Front Dress Form
Front Detail - You can see where I made the alterations to the pattern just under the shoulder and in the neckline and how it opens.
Back On
Back Detail - You can see the alterations to the back as well.
Jodi B. said... (3/2/15 9:32 AM) Reply
Beautiful! Thanks for the comment on the fit.
Anniinbc said... (3/1/15 11:43 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful!
rozzykins said... (2/28/15 7:51 PM) Reply
Really beautiful! I've always wanted to do a period piece, so hopefully will get to it one day! Great job!!
calypso said... (2/28/15 6:45 PM) Reply
Great job! you certainly interpreted Sansa Stark perfectly!
Cre8tv said... (2/28/15 3:00 PM) Reply
Amazing creation!
Sew Whatever said... (2/28/15 2:45 PM) Reply
Beautiful fabric choices and suits you so well.
craigrama said... (8/21/13 1:51 PM) Reply
Love the fabric. Sew it again!
carrie18584 said... (8/19/13 9:48 AM) Reply
That is so beautiful and it definitely has the Sansa look!
ClaireEmily said... (8/19/13 4:35 AM) Reply
That is just extraordinarily beautiful!
Stephanie C. said... (8/13/13 1:44 AM) Reply
That is beautiful!!
Acient3 said... (8/12/13 11:33 AM) Reply
beautiful job, I have that pattern and you gave me ideas, thanks
JulzB said... (8/12/13 0:04 AM) Reply
Great job.
Pj3g said... (8/11/13 10:35 AM) Reply
That is really impressive! Nice job!
KathleenS said... (8/10/13 9:06 PM) Reply
Nice work. You definitely got the Sansa look you were going for, with your changes and your fabric choice.

McCall's M4963