Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3519 (Ghillie shirt)

Review submitted in August Challenge Contest - Sewing for Men Contest
Reviewed by:annem54

About annem54star
NET United Kingdom
Member since: 7/10/12
Posted on:8/15/13 12:45 PM
Last Updated:8/15/13 12:50 PM

See other patterns in this category: Costumes
LizzyB said... (12/3/13 9:22 AM) Reply
Lovely work!
annem54 said... (9/5/13 6:18 PM) Reply
Sunnie49, thank you. I have not heard of this company before - it is useful to know where to get some patterns not from the big 4. Any idea where to get J Stern patterns in UK? Some of the pattern companies are totally new to me - there are so many! Thank you, Anne
Sunnie49 said... (9/4/13 3:45 AM) Reply
Annem54, you can buy Folkwear (and other vintage, historical, etc patterns) here in the UK for a very reasonable shipping price at the following link: http://www.habithat.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=22 If it didn't hyperlink simply copy and paste to your browser or do a search for the company name. Very reliable and very reasonably priced, and no, I don't work for them:) Your ghillie shirt is nicely done - looks great on him!
annem54 said... (8/23/13 4:29 AM) Reply
Thank you for all your kind comments and advice. My home network crashed and I was stuck with 3G on my Android smartphone for a few days - back on with new modem but not yet configured properly so slow in replying though I did manage to vote in menswear competition. sewingcanary - the shirt fabric is ecru/ivory with a slight dark fleck which looks rather nice. My husband is not at all an embroidery type person (although in the 70s he did have flowers, drawn by me, on jeans which he continued to wear!). I looked at the Folkwear patterns - they were very expensive to ship and I didn't see the 'perfect' pattern although I would have considered two of them - one was the cheesemaker's shirt. In the end, because I decided to enter menswear competition, I didn't have time to wait for shipping, anyway. helenkosings - thank you for your kind suggestions - I will check these out when my broadband is back up and running properly. The Celtic knot is one of our favourite. The trivet clasp is a great idea too. I'll practice these ideas and make a new shirt some time!
helenkosings said... (8/22/13 10:52 PM) Reply
Oh and instead of eyelets & thong, you might consider a decorative hook & eye instead, like this one: http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Bali-Copper-Celtic-Coil-3-strand-Hook-and-Eye-Clasp/3431810/product.html or this: http://tinyurl.com/kpjwsxc or a trivet clasp: http://www.bymichelle.com/clasps.html
helenkosings said... (8/22/13 10:42 PM) Reply
You did EXTREMELY well since you're a beginner! I wouldn't have known it from the photo.
Baja Susana said... (8/20/13 5:55 PM) Reply
Nicely done!
LM2HYD said... (8/18/13 8:18 AM) Reply
Excellent and thorough review. This shirt looks wonderful! It does not look at all like your first attempt at making a shirt. You should be proud of yourself.
sewingcanary said... (8/16/13 7:08 PM) Reply
Great shirt - aka smock. Reminds me of a favorite Folkwear pattern. It would also look nice in ivory or ecru... perhaps even some embroidery if he's that sort of fella.
renren said... (8/16/13 12:37 PM) Reply
Fabulous shirt--thanks for reviewing it.
Mary.P said... (8/16/13 5:43 AM) Reply
Great results for a first time shirt maker.
annem54 said... (8/16/13 3:23 AM) Reply
Thank you, all, for your kind comments and advice. I will post a picture of the next one when it is done; a while yet though as I'm sewing for myself next. This gives me a chance to find the right material. I'll look for the special eyelets but also think of buttonholes - I'll do some samples to see which looks and works best.
sewnaomi said... (8/15/13 11:01 PM) Reply
I love it. I had a rtw one about 12 years ago exactly like it; no lace or eyelets. I loved it and wore it out. Thanks for the review.
Sarsez said... (8/15/13 9:58 PM) Reply
Very thorough review and well done for a first time shirt maker. You need to seek out eyelets that have a special backing to them. I think they are called grommets??
treefrog said... (8/15/13 7:04 PM) Reply
Looks great! I like this style of shirt as it looks so comfortable to wear. The button and thong closure sounds interesting. An alternative would be to sew an eyelet (if your machine has one or hand-stitched if your keen) or use the metal ones and put a placket behind eyelets to keep them off the skin.
NEMDF said... (8/15/13 5:26 PM) Reply
As to the eyelets: you could possibly make button holes on both sides, to lace up?
carolynw said... (8/15/13 3:17 PM) Reply
You should be so pleased with your results for a first time shirt maker - well done and your husband looks really "spiffy" with his kilt and shirt

by: Lori V