Pattern Sizing: 128-158 cm; I traced and cut a size 134 for Miss K ~ These are a "plus" pattern. Since I've had problems with the sizing for her on bottoms with Ottobre I figured I'd try out a plus pattern to see if it fit. K is 7.5 years old and wears an 8/10 in RTW.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes I guess. I couldn't see the top because the model has a tshirt covering the waistband and top of pants.
Were the instructions easy to follow? yes they were but I used my own previous tutorial for the zipper fly and I pulled out my old Vogue Sewing book for the flaps on the pockets.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Pockets took forever
Rise to high
Waistband too short
This was a long project. I started tracing and cutting on Monday. I finished them today, Friday, at noon.
Of course I didn't work on them non-stop, but I took breaks when I was tired or frustrated.
I disliked working on the pockets. These were a lot of work. You have the pocket and then the flap. Each is top stitched in two rows. My double needle would not handle the thick corduroy and heavy jean thread so I had to sew each row.... 4 pockets.... 4 flaps. *note* stitch buttons onto pockets before attaching them to the pants, not by hand at the end as the directions state. Also, sew darts before adding pockets - this would have been easier because the pockets get all bulky and up in the way. And finally, the line on the pattern for the pockets is for the top of the FLAP! not the top of the pocket. . . sigh. I became disappointed when I realized the waistband didn't even fit the pants! They were 2 inches too short. I had to re-cut the waistband and didn't have a long enough piece of fabric left so they were in two pieces.
the pockets look cute.
the leg flare is cute.
they weren't hard to sew.
Fabric Used: 17 Wale Corduroy in Sand. Ordered from Fabric.com on 2/24/13 - 2 yards and I used all of it. $6.85
Oh and scraps of pink and white polka dot cotton for the under flaps.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I added an adjustable waist, knowing these would probably be too big for K. This would have went way more smoothly if the waistband wasn't so skinny. It bunched up the elastic terribly.
Conclusion: Verdict: way too big for K. Rise is too high. She complained about the button being too hard to get on and off (not a pattern fault but my own I guess).
I will not sew them again due to all those and the amount of time that went into these pants vs the outcome.