Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6940 (Misses Knit Tops)

Reviewed by:LlanoGirl

About LlanoGirlstar
TX USA
Member since: 1/2/12
Posted on:8/19/13 12:00 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
Keyboard Carol said... (2/18/15 8:44 AM) Reply
Thanks for the great review. As others commented, your top turned out nicely. Like you, I've been sewing for over 30 years and recently started sewing again. I pressed an iron on tape inside the hem, used a double needle and the hem turned out as the RTW does. (Just sharing the info) I always test on scrap fabric first of the same fabric I'm sewing on. Thanks again for the very thorough review, I have plans for this pattern!
yvonnesuniques said... (9/1/14 12:04 PM) Reply
I think your top turned out wonderful! It fits you very nicely. I like the sleeveless version, and don't blame you for ditching the sleeves. Sometimes, less is better! I just bought this pattern and am anxious to try it out. I am not sure about sizing and think I will get out a RTW that fits for comparison.
SewLibra said... (8/20/13 12:51 PM) Reply
Congratulations on your first review, your new serger, and first knit! Your top looks very nice on you and no one would know it was a struggle. Like Dynamo, I serge the hem, turn it under, but generally sew two rows of topstitching to look like RTW. A double needle works well too if you like using them. Some of those slinky knits don't like you to start the needle right on the edge, as they are prone to getting sucked into the feed dogs. I find it helpful to start the seam a little further from the edge, backstitch, then go on with the seam. You did a great job and looking forward to your next review!
knitsewmuch said... (8/19/13 9:55 PM) Reply
Cute top. Love the fabric.
threaddy said... (8/19/13 7:13 PM) Reply
Darling!!!!! I have this pattern in my wish list...I'll have to move it to buy.
carolrv said... (8/19/13 2:48 PM) Reply
A cute top! I hope that you don't give up on sewing knits. Some suggestions: a ballpoint needle, and a visit to your machine brand's dealer or website) to hopefully learn some techniques to make your machine funcion better with this very different fabric. Has the machine been in the shop for cleaning and adjustment lately?
LlanoGirl said... (8/19/13 2:13 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tip, Dynamo, I will try that next time! I am eager to learn new things
Dynamo said... (8/19/13 1:53 PM) Reply
Looks great! I don't have a coverstitch either. Sometimes I'll just serge along the bottom of the hem, then turn it to the inside and "topstitch" once on the outside. Looks tidy on the inside, and is a quick and easy.
MrsCharisma said... (8/19/13 1:17 PM) Reply
I think it's really cute!!
halleyscomet said... (8/19/13 12:03 PM) Reply
Love the fabric! Cute top!

Understanding Wool Fabrics