Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6801 (Misses'/Women's Dresses)

Reviewed by:ArtAttack

About ArtAttackstarstarstarstar
Member since: 5/11/11
Posted on:8/21/13 5:31 PM
Last Updated:8/21/13 6:41 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 14 people

MarshaG. said... (7/27/14 1:59 PM) Reply
7-27-14 I am working on this dress right now - slowly and surely, I hope! Interestingly, the directions say nothing about the stitches to use on any of the seams. I have a Viking Quilt designer II, with many stitch options. Usually for knits I use a stretch-overcast for most seams. For this dress, so far, I have used an elastic straight stitch to sew the darts in the lining front, to attach the lining back to the back facing and yokes and to stitch all shoulder seams. For the curved seam on the back lining/facing, I pressed the seam allowances down. For all shoulder seams, I pressed open and have the seam allowances basted, so they can't fold up. I am getting ready to join the back of the dress to the lining/back facing and can't decide what stitch to use. I feel that I should used the stretch-overcast, and then trim the rest off. But, I've tried that on similar knit scraps and the resulting doubled (and 4 layers on the shoulder seams) feel pretty bulky. I practiced top-stitching with a straight stitch - not too short a stitch length - and it seems ok, but difficult to keep even over the shoulder seams.......ACK!!! I do not want to mess up the neckline!!! What do you recommend?? I'm trying to finish for an event later this week and actually have all day and this evening, which should be ample time......but I can't afford any mess-ups.
MarshaG. said... (7/4/14 12:36 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Thanks also for the tip on using steam-a-seam lite to stabilize the ruching. I have one question about the sizing. Without being too intrusive, I am curious is your measurements closely line up with that of a size 12, which is the size you stated you used. My measurements are nearer that of a size 14, but I think that would really be too big on me. I noticed one other reviewer said she went down a size. I'm hoping to make this for a special event that is taking place 7-31-14........need to make a muslin first!
Carolynjan said... (4/28/14 8:17 AM) Reply
Carolynjan said... Hi, I am a fairly advanced sewer but I cannot figure out what to do from step 9 on. Would you be able to explain what you did from this step? I thought I had figured it out and then when they said to turn lining to the inside it all went wrong....thanks for any assistance you can provide. 4/28/14 8:11 AM
karen n said... (2/3/14 3:50 PM) Reply
I don't know if you'll see this question as its late but did you have inspired me to get a ruffler since I really dislike gathering. Do your ruffles go up or down?
aaltje said... (11/15/13 5:02 AM) Reply
what a lovely dress! I like the change on the sleeve (I do like the ones on the pattern, but this is also a great idea).
Pattycrafty said... (10/12/13 6:04 PM) Reply
Great fit and great adjustments. Thank you for sharing! I just bought this pattern!
Jstarr4250 said... (8/26/13 11:25 PM) Reply
Mama Mia! This one is red hot and gorgeous. I'm with you on no puffy sleeve caps. Great review.
Pattycrafty said... (8/25/13 5:26 AM) Reply
Thank you for posting this! I had been looking at that pattern and not loving the sleeve cap, but your alteration is spot-on. Thank you for the great detail about the Steam-a-Seam. This is a must-make!
SewLibra said... (8/22/13 6:35 PM) Reply
I love this dress and the fit is perfect! Lovely print and colors in the fabric, too. I don't go for puffy sleeves either, my shoulders are already broad so I try to avoid the linebacker look - lol. Thank you for such a thorough review.
liliv said... (8/22/13 4:47 PM) Reply
Hm .... what to mention first now? The butterfly print is so impressive and unique and the colors so rich, the pattern is simply gorgeous and the fit perfect! 10/10 for this fantastic dress, you look smoking hot!!
HRigg said... (8/22/13 3:48 PM) Reply
Perfect for Autumn. Thanks for the helpful review.
Dianne22 said... (8/22/13 11:37 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! Love the neckline and it looks so sexy on you. Nice change on the sleeves--I don't care for puffy sleeves either.
4u2cme said... (8/22/13 10:09 AM) Reply
Thanks for a great review. I recently purchased this pattern @ Jo-Ann Fabrics $.70 sale!
prostheticsgirl said... (8/22/13 9:29 AM) Reply
Great techniques and looks great on you!
Jrhee said... (8/22/13 9:28 AM) Reply
Gosh, this is a knockout! I love this design so much!
wimmie said... (8/22/13 9:02 AM) Reply
pretty dress. nice one to start the next season with. I also am getting antsy about starting fall clothing. good luck.
Danvillegirl said... (8/22/13 5:34 AM) Reply
Great looking dress!
1SewSweet said... (8/22/13 5:13 AM) Reply
Very, very nice! That fabric is beautiful! I agree with you about the "poofy" sleeve, it's not my favorite either. I think I've made two tops with sleeves like that and I don't wear either any longer.
CissieW said... (8/22/13 4:36 AM) Reply
Stunning. Another one of your creations that I must copy! Wish I could find such gorgeous fabric. Love it.
mnitts said... (8/22/13 2:24 AM) Reply
Aww I was so close to getting this pattern in the big 4 sale that finishes today (?) but didn't. Mistake! Love your fabric and the fit on you. Super sexy and flattering!
Barbara V said... (8/22/13 1:12 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress and colors for fall! Lovely work with fitting and alterations for a terrific fit.
knitsewmuch said... (8/21/13 10:08 PM) Reply
This dress is a knockout! Beautiful.
GoodbyeValntino said... (8/21/13 9:44 PM) Reply
This is one fine dress, Dorcas! Super duper fit :)
cleverkitty said... (8/21/13 9:29 PM) Reply
Yes I love this on you too, you have the perfect figure for this... Really good review ;)
margy.64 said... (8/21/13 9:17 PM) Reply
Lovely flattering dress. Love your use of the ruffler foot. I must look into getting one for my Bernina. So often this type of pattern puts me off due to all the gathering required but you make it look really easy with the ruffler foot. Lovely fabric choice too.
SewWil said... (8/21/13 8:24 PM) Reply
Wow! I love your dress! Changing the sleeve was a great idea.
Sue Parrott said... (8/21/13 8:20 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful! You have such a knack for choosing the right pattern to match your lovely fabric choices!
Amanda.Claire said... (8/21/13 7:04 PM) Reply
Gorgeous fall dress! Ooooh, thanks for the nylon stay tape tip for the ruffler foot. Hopefully, I'll remember when I am doing some ruching.
grays08 said... (8/21/13 6:48 PM) Reply
I love this one, the fit is superb and thanks so much for the great tips!
lakaribane said... (8/21/13 6:43 PM) Reply
Love it! That dress is on my Must Sew List and I am so happy to see your review. You look fantastic!
Re Becca said... (8/21/13 6:42 PM) Reply
Wow, you look terrific! That dress is stunning, nice fabric too.
Aixoise said... (8/21/13 6:30 PM) Reply
Terrific looking dress! Perfect fit, great color - a winner. Thanks for the tip about the stay tape for ruching. What a clever, practical solution.

by: slmstyle