Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7608 (Today's Fit French-Cut Jean)

Reviewed by:Teri

About Teristar
Posted on:4/23/05 12:18 PM
Last Updated:5/8/05 6:16 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 8 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants

VtMartha said... (6/8/05 10:07 AM) Reply
Thanks, Teri, for your help. I have some of those buttons on hand - just thought the snap would be easier in my last minute push to finish these on time. I will also order one of those catalogs.
Teri said... (6/7/05 8:50 AM) Reply
Martha, I am so glad that you made a pair of jeans that you like. I didn't use a snap (sorry I didn't mention that in the review) I used a Prym jean button, just like the ones you find on RTW. I was afraid that the snaps would do just what you described. I am sure that you could change out the snap for the button and then make a button hole. I think you would be much happier with the results. You can also get jean supplies, buttons, rivets, zippers, and topstiching thread, from the Bee Lee Company in Dallas, Tx. Their phone number is 1-800-527-5271. They don't have a website, but they will send you a catologue. Good luck.
VtMartha said... (6/6/05 2:49 PM) Reply
Your pants are great and they inspired me to make my own pair. I made them in a heavy weight dark blue denim. After some alterations, I am really pleased with them. I actually wore them to a wedding in Nashville this weekend with fancy boots. But... I can't get the snap to stay applied. Before I even got the jeans on, the snap came apart and I had to send my DH scurrying around the hotel to find a safety pin. Pinning it together so the pin and broken snap parts didn't show was the most difficult part! How did you get a snap through 2 layers of interfaced heavy fabric?
lilhoney57 said... (5/10/05 6:07 PM) Reply
Your pants look outstanding!
Doris Stewart said... (5/9/05 10:03 AM) Reply
Very thorough review - thank you :-)
valerie sews said... (5/9/05 3:35 AM) Reply
Your jeans look great. Thanks for the tip on taking them in to make them snug.
Diane E said... (5/8/05 8:37 PM) Reply
All I can say is, "wow." Your jeans look fantastic!
Julia_oz said... (5/8/05 6:56 PM) Reply
I have several pieces of stretch corduroy which I've been wanting to make into pants but haven't found the right pattern. This looks like it could be it. Thanks!
PegL said... (4/26/05 9:33 PM) Reply
Your jeans are awesome! Fantastic fit! I have this pattern -- just need to get brave and try it! Thanks for the great review!
SouthernStitch said... (4/25/05 1:00 PM) Reply
Great job on your jeans. I appreciate this review cause I need to make these soon.
MaryBeth said... (4/25/05 12:09 PM) Reply
These are well fitting jeans! I'm glad I finally read your review and do appreciate your tips. Thanks for sharing your take on this pattern. I especially found the experience with the differences between ABC and DEF important information.
jenniferpa said... (4/24/05 8:29 PM) Reply
French cut refers to to the cut at the crotch and hips. I got my copy of the pattern out and I can't believe how short it is - I'm going to have to add at least 4 inches, and I'm only 5'5"!
Teri said... (4/24/05 12:01 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I wore the pants to dinner last night and to church this morning and they are very comfy. Penelope, I don't know what the French cut is. I agree that most of the pictures I see of SB pants are too short. I always thought that was because they were samples made for her and the models were all taller. Just beware if you make this patten that you will most likely have to lengthen the legs.
PixieCat said... (4/24/05 5:04 AM) Reply
Your jeans look great. I have this pattern and can't wait to try it.
JDpenelope said... (4/24/05 4:06 AM) Reply
Your pants fit perfectly. I wonder if the "french cut" refers to the shorter length, which is not in fashion right now? Or does that describe the straight leg look?
jenniferpa said... (4/23/05 9:10 PM) Reply
Thes look really great. I've got this pattern, and I'd better get around to making it. I'm sure I read that someone on here used these pants for a class with SB, and she actually told her that they always needed to be cut longer.
CarolynGM said... (4/23/05 7:23 PM) Reply
Your jeans look like they fit you perfectly. I do like that interesting back yoke. The pants look way too short on the model in the pattern photo, so no wonder you had to lengthen them.
Jennifer shaw said... (4/23/05 6:52 PM) Reply
Your pants look so wonderful on you! Thanks for the great review.
cindyann said... (4/23/05 3:36 PM) Reply
Great looking pants. I have this pattern, but haven't tried it yet. Funny that you found them to be short. I've never tried a S.B. pattern, but in her books, the models all wear pants that are much to short IMO.
ryan's mom said... (4/23/05 3:27 PM) Reply
These jeans look great on you! Thanks for the pattern review. I have this in my stash and haven't used it yet. I made one of the Today's Fit flat-front pant with a straight leg out of stretch grey corduroy so I know what you mean about that lycra. Interesting note about that back yoke too.
drsue said... (4/23/05 2:08 PM) Reply
Very nice. I think the yoke as waistband is a nice idea.
Geri Lynn said... (4/23/05 1:37 PM) Reply
Oh...very nice!! Those look fantastic on you. I like the look of the back yoke being the waist band...I bet that's very comfortable.
Gillian said... (4/23/05 1:15 PM) Reply
Nice pants! You've inspired me.
bunz said... (4/23/05 1:11 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review. I've been wondering abt the SB patterns -- they seem to get more postivies than negative.
Sherril Miller said... (4/23/05 12:30 PM) Reply
You went though a lot to get these pants to work and got a great fit. They show off your little backside very nicely. Thanks for the review.
Evatgirl73 said... (4/23/05 12:28 PM) Reply
Nice fitting jeans, they look great on you! I like the back detail, interesting. Great review!!!

Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick SB300