Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1407 (Barcelona Dress)

Reviewed by:Patti B

About Patti Bstarstarstarstar
Member since: 9/29/02
Posted on:4/24/05 9:52 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 20 people

Other Projects by Patti B using this Pattern

JDpenelope said... (6/11/08 9:54 AM) Reply
I'm looking at this pattern again. Londa recommends this pattern for slinky knit, but I'm worried that it might be too heavy for this dress. Still considering.
PegL said... (4/26/05 2:23 PM) Reply
Love your dress! You look wonderful in it! I've gone back and forth on whether I should get this pattern and you've definitely made me think more about it! Great review!
Jan B. said... (4/25/05 6:12 PM) Reply
Your version looks great and your comments are appreciated. Nice variation.
PixieCat said... (4/25/05 3:05 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. It looks great on you!
JDpenelope said... (4/25/05 10:02 AM) Reply
Great dress and review. I've been eying this pattern and may have to get it now that I see yours. I'm not sure I understand the distinction between the Tilton half French binding and the Loes method. Would you say these are two different "ribbing" techniques? I prefer a bound neckline, too. BTW, Linda Lee of Sewing Workshop recently recommended against using rayons--any rayon, not just rayon knits--in skirts and dresses, because, she says, the hems "grow" and become uneven. Was very disappointed, since I have accumulated quite a bit of rayon in my stash. Am taking this "under advisement", but not sure I'll observe her warning!
AnneM said... (4/25/05 7:20 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. Love the fabric, and the look is excellent. I think the heavy knit gives a nice shape to the dress. I keep looking at this pattern, & can never decide if it would look good on me or not. I like it on you, though.
Danvillegirl said... (4/25/05 5:50 AM) Reply
Very pretty dress. It looks very nice on you. I have yet to make this pattern. Have had it forever. I keep thinking it will make me look shorter. Need to rethink this perhaps.
Cambric Tea said... (4/24/05 6:07 PM) Reply
This fits you so well and is extra flattering.
Julia Graham said... (4/24/05 3:49 PM) Reply
That really is a gorgeous fabric. Also love the "hourglass ... with more sand sifting through" comment. All this time I didn't realize that the solution to my figure problems was headstands! :-)
Karen Bowers said... (4/24/05 3:34 PM) Reply
i love this pattern; i've made it at least 3 times, and plan to make more! i didn't realize maxine's store was the last one in california. i love it when she comes to san jose, and i'm able to go!
MaryBeth said... (4/24/05 3:34 PM) Reply
The dress looks great on you, Patti, and the vee neckline worked just fine. Hmmm, maybe this pattern needs to get moved up on the list...but I think I'll learn from you and not use that rayon knit
BjP said... (4/24/05 3:17 PM) Reply
Great looking dress - I envy those of you who can look wonderful wearing long dresses! If I looked as good as you do in that style, I'd wear them, too!
Sherril Miller said... (4/24/05 2:52 PM) Reply
I like the changes you've done at the sleeves and neckline. The fabric makes this a very special dress. You look so pretty and it fits perfectly!
Teri said... (4/24/05 2:09 PM) Reply
Patti, Your dress looks great on you. I think the v-neck looks wonderful. Good job!
Izzie said... (4/24/05 1:12 PM) Reply
Beautiful Patti! I love the fabric you chose. I've made 3 of these dresses too and I appreciate your tip on lengthening the sleeves. Your V-neck is a very nice modification and looks very flattering on you. Thanks for the review!
Jennifer shaw said... (4/24/05 1:02 PM) Reply
Patti, your dress looks so wonderful on you! Thanks for the review.
Peggy L said... (4/24/05 12:12 PM) Reply
Love this dress on you!
Patti B said... (4/24/05 11:50 AM) Reply
Mandolin, It is the short-sleeve version. I agree cap sleeves are not always what I want and that was why I used the binding -- to add just a little more length to the sleeve. All told, it's probably an inch longer than if you followed the pattern. Using a knit also makes it less cap sleeve in appearance.
Elona said... (4/24/05 11:15 AM) Reply
Very cute, Patti! Thanks for the complete review and tips.
Mandolin82 said... (4/24/05 11:10 AM) Reply
Did you use the short-sleeve version of the dress? The drawing makes them look rather like cap sleeves (horrible on me), but they look more like set in short sleeves in your photo.
jlg said... (4/24/05 10:58 AM) Reply
Patti, your dress looks great on you. I love the fabric.
flowermama said... (4/24/05 10:40 AM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful. I have wanted this pattern for a long time and now I really want it! Love your neckline changes.
PVA said... (4/24/05 10:04 AM) Reply
Thanks for this review, Patti, your dress is beautiful. In the photo it looks like you've achieved a wonderful fit! Love the print. I too prefer that neckline finish & the modified v-neck looks very nice on you.

Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern