Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|Self Drafted Pattern: 275327-1000 (Kids Kilt) - Type:Kids(boys & girls) |
|Viewed 39 times
Review rated Very Helpful
by 1 people
|About craigrama |
|Member since: 10/30/11 |
|Reviews written: 8|
|Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner|
|Favored by: 1 people|
|patterns reviewed: 8|
|Posted on:||8/26/13 6:16 PM |
|Last Updated:||8/26/13 6:39 PM|
|Pattern Size:||Petite |
Pattern Info provided by craigrama
|Pattern Rating:||Highly Recommend |
|Fabric:||Cotton Duck [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
|Pattern Description: |
Children's Kilt (size 18months) in utility style.
A family friend's daughters first birthday is coming soon. Since I'm known for my kilts, and the parents work in industries where utility kilts are not uncommon, I had to draft up a creative way to give a gift. It will be a wearable gift, with a giftcard hidden in the pocket. Shhhh, don't tell. It's this weekend.
I used an existing adult utility kilt as a rough pattern. I recreated it using standard sizes for 18 month children.
Children, 18 months
Yellow cotton duck.
Brown vinyl (belt)
Purple stretch sparkle spandex (flip side of belt)
-Pleated in kinguesse style. Pleats folding in each direction, from a center pleat.
-Sewn down pleats to remove need for heavy ironing. Machine washable.
-Velcro closure, instead of snaps and belt closure. Makes for easy costume changes.
-Reversable belt. Brown and purple. If you are a LSU fan, you will understand the purple color choice. Both parents are grads.
-Belt attached by velcro, hidden under beltloops so the belt is truly for decoration.
-Pocket added for storage.
All photos in Flickr photo set
Please forgive the model. He was cranky with the music the DJ was playing.
Pinned on table during design phase
Added eyelets and hanging pocket (attached at top)
Front view (on model)
Back view (on model)
Reversable belt with velcro stays
Ready for a LSU party
-I started with a length of fabric, cut to proper height, but length was a guesstimate. I started at center back pleat, pinned and adjusted to achieve final size.
-Sewing through spandex and vinyl to make the belt took a ton of practice to make the stitches look good on both side. Tension was key.
-I could have used snaps for front decoration, but wanted to ensure they didn't fall off and become a hazard. So I choose eyelets.
-All edges were overcast, as this material had a tendence to fray. Plus I got to use my new Brother Side Cutter attachment. It cuts and overcasts at once. A cheap alternative to buying a serger.
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment