With the birth of my new grandson I went in search of a pattern that would fun to make. I wanted a pattern that he could grow into and this pattern was suitable. I chose to make 18 month size. This does look like the pattern however, I did make some changes to the construction of the outfit.
I enlarged the pocket and personalized the outfit with the name of his parents farm and added an a cow applique to the pocket. I was not sure how I felt about the cuff on the bottom of the overalls so I added a knit ribbed cuff. I think this looks better on a boys overall instead of a cuff. The seams were sewn with a flat felled seam finish.
My daughter asked for me not to use snaps on legs so this seam was also sewn with a felled seam. overalls
I used fleece and cotton for the vest. I lined the vest with polar fleece and used large snaps instead of buttonholes. Instead of the binding I topstitched the vest in red thread to match the pocket. However, even using a decorative stitch the fleece makes it difficult to see the red topstitching. Again I added a cow applique and the farm name to the pocket to add a bit of fun. vest
With the remaining fabric I was able to cut out a matching hat. I also lined the hat in black fleece. A twin needle worked really well to top stitch the seams in the crown section of the hat. The method of attaching the band on the hat had to be modified to keep the hat reversible. The outer layer was stitched on to the crown and then I hand stitched the fleece inside the crown. I am not sure about the way the pattern calls for the peak to be attached to the crown if you are making this hat unlined. vest and hat
I will sew this pattern again and recommend it to others. My daughter has asked for a larger version of the vest and hat for her older son. I am sorry I cannot comment on the size or fitting of the outfit as this was made for a baby who is currently 2 weeks old. Call me a crazy grandma!