A self-drafted Jacket Block using a Sure Fit Designs Master Pattern, based on my body measurements, modified into a princess seamed jacket.
SureFit doesn't go by pattern sizing, but has you circle dots on a main sheet to draft your sloper from the Dress Kit.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
No photo,no envelope
Were the instructions easy to follow?
If I were using the Dress Kit, which is what this Jacket Block is made from--yes.. But there were no other instructions, such as how to rotate the darts, extend the shoulders, etc.; had to go with my dinosaur aged brain...and a few notes.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Well, getting back to the Dress Kit. I really like Sure Fit because of the ease which I can modify the main sloper. A few small changes, and Walla! A jacket..a few more changes, such as rotating the dart, and a princess seam jacket. Another change to add a hidden placket, and you're good to go.
2 yards of 60" wide wool gabardine from Fabric Mart. I was in a buying mode a while back, and bought a bunch of this stuff. Thankfully I lowered my stash--somewhat, at least for a moment. And another 2 yards of a wonderful poly type of Clark Kent fabric I used for the lining. Click Here
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
My usual pattern alterations to the sloper:
*High round back adjustment of 1/2"
*Forward Shoulder Adjustment of 5/8"
*Removed 5/8 from right armscye due to scoliosis and right shoulder blade curving forward more
Design changes from the sloper:
*Didn't stitch the waistline darts
*Added 1" to the shoulder seams to allow for a shoulder pad,
*Added 1/2" to the waistline to make the jacket boxy
*Rotated the bust dart to the armhole and the bottom hem, based on a Pattern Making class I took here on PR quite a while ago (thanks, Shannon!) There are many tutorials in books and online giving directions how to do this. I'm writing a review and not a tutorial, so my point is not to take up valuable reading time by trying to explain with limited space. See Photo Here
*Changed the neckline to a slightly curved one, and drafted a facing from that, based on the same class. The facing helped to keep the lining in place.
*Added a hidden placket, for reals, using a method I found in a Threads Magazine, #112, page 34. This placket uses a facing to create, and you can add the placket after you've cut out the front bodice. See photo here
*Made a larger welt pocket and added a pocket square Click Here
*Stitched soutache trim to the princess seams for embellishmentClick Here
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Of course I would sew it again, but as to recommending it to others? Well, not unless one would want to have my exact body with all its bumps and curves because the pattern IS drafted for me; and they would have to pay me a hefty sum for all the work I did.
This was a fun self-drafted pattern. With the basic fitting shell from SureFit, and some tweaking, I was good to go.
Also, more to the story...I broke the wrist of my dominant hand this summer, and in the middle of the vegetable gardening. This jacket, and all the changes, etc., were done with that broken wrist--hard cast and all. Thank goodness for rotary cutters, the fabric weights I got from a fellow PR member SEE PHOTO HERE (Thanks, Jane!), a sewing machine with a large harp, and a lot of time and patience to do this.