Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6095 (dress and bag)

Reviewed by:Melwyk

New Look: 6095 by Melwyk
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Accessories
Melwyk said... (9/18/13 9:25 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the tips! Truthfully, most of my problems come from also being too lazy to make a muslin ;) I have difficulties measuring myself but will make more of an effort to do so -- great point to measure the items that I already like the fit of to get an idea of what sizing I would like.
sewingcanary said... (9/18/13 4:49 AM) Reply
Before you go cutting your next item in size 14, MEASURE. Measure the pattern pieces. [Numbers on envelopes and patterns can be wrong]. Measure something that fits the way you want your new item to fit - or measure one that’s too big so you know what you don’t want. Alter the pattern or size if needed. If you like, you could easily buzz the bodice in a bit. To do so, pin the side seams flat, the same way you did before. Start just above the pocket opening. [LOVE the robin’s egg blue] Taper in to make the seam 0.25” -0.5” (6-12 mm) wider than now. Somewhere before the hem of the sleeve cap, taper the seam out to zero again. - - - I have two new shirt patterns. One bodice says the finished size of the 12 is larger than the 14. The difference between the two patterns is 5 ½” in the bust. Hope the zipper came out well. Cheers from BC
Melanie Herron said... (9/18/13 2:48 AM) Reply
I don't think it looks too big at all. For sizing I often go by the finished measurements for bust and hips printed on the pattern. I then get a flexible tape measure, adjust to the measurement and hold it around me at the appropriate spot to get an idea of how much room I'll have. Often I find I prefer a size smaller than the size panel on the back of the pattern suggests. You can always do a muslin, but to be honest I'm too lazy :-)

by: Danmar