Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8020 (An "Audrey/Jackie O" Dress)

Reviewed by:Kathryn

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 34 people

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

HenriettenDK said... (3/30/06 11:21 AM) Reply
Kathryn, will you make one for me? Wauw! Dresses like this make me want to become better at sewing!
Deepika said... (5/16/05 9:40 PM) Reply
OMG how did I miss this? Kathryn... I am speechless!!!
Gigi Louis said... (5/5/05 4:51 PM) Reply
Kathryn, I'm so glad to see you added that lovely photo to your profile! That outfit is one of my favorites in your photo album - which I visit regularly. :-)
stripquilter said... (5/4/05 7:48 PM) Reply
The only word left is: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!! (Meant as a very high compliment.) Vogue should see what you've done with this pattern. You have raised the bar for all of us, Kathryn, not only with the dress but also with your review and all the lovely photos. Truly outstanding. Julia (in Houston)
Rennie Ashby said... (5/4/05 5:14 PM) Reply
A stellar review and the dress leaves me speechless! I do hope you will continue to review here.
mamafitz said... (5/4/05 4:48 PM) Reply
Kathryn!! so good to see you, i've missed you. what a STUNNING dress, i wanna be you when i grow up. :)
Runrover said... (5/4/05 9:14 AM) Reply
Kathryn - the dress is stunning, amazing, lovely...I could go on and on. Thanks for the detailed and informative review. I'm so happy to see your review over her on PR. I've so much enjoyed and appreciated your contributions on SW and the time you took to e-mail me sewing tips and words of encouragement. I hope we get more reviews from you. Cynthia
Georgene said... (5/4/05 9:12 AM) Reply
Thanks for the closeup on the horsehair insert in to the hem...very timely for me in the final phases of a wedding gown. Thanks for a wonderful review with all your finishing details. It's wonderful what one can do with no fear! Please add a photo with you in the dress ;-)
Kathryn said... (5/4/05 8:28 AM) Reply
Thank you all so much! This was my first review, and was a lot of fun to write. I truly appreciate your wonderful comments.
Sew4Fun said... (5/4/05 2:35 AM) Reply
Kathryn, I clicked on your profile photo to have a closer look at your dress [G], oh wow!!! I also navigated my way to your website showing even more of your beautiful gowns. I am in complete awe!!! You do THE most exquisite work!
MaryBeth said... (5/3/05 5:33 PM) Reply
Wow, let me add to your encouragement!!! I adore this piece and it's two different looks. Thanks so much for posting this review. Deep breath, deep breath, slowww deep breath, and grin!
brooktrout said... (5/3/05 5:05 PM) Reply
Kathryn, your dress is beautiful. Thanks so much for detailing your techniques and illustrating them with so many photos. I love the ribbon and shoes!
hongkongshopper said... (5/3/05 4:12 PM) Reply
Oh the work you have done - it is just beautiful!
MickeyFan said... (5/3/05 11:48 AM) Reply
WOW! Your dress is fabulous. I have this pattern and you have definitely inspired me. Thanks for this review!
The Renaissance Girl said... (5/3/05 11:40 AM) Reply
Ahhhhhhhhhh!! *thud* Your dress is sooooooooo beautiful!!!! Perfectly vintage. That beading detail on the back is extraordinary, itís so creative of you! I'm just aching to make this pattern, I hope mine turns out as good as yours!!!! I had wondered if the dress needed something to give it some 'oomph' since the modelís poofed out so much. And your shoes are PERFECT!!!!!!
LBJ said... (5/3/05 10:55 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! Thank you! And the Shoes! I love them!
Amelie said... (5/3/05 10:50 AM) Reply
So pretty!!! Wonderful review.
JDpenelope said... (5/3/05 10:21 AM) Reply
Ditto, all of the above, me too, etc. Count me among those who'd like to see the dress on you. Thanks for all photos and details.
LoriB said... (5/3/05 10:18 AM) Reply
Wow! That is a beautiful dress. Thank you for your detailed review. I'm sure the couture additions and techniques really made the dress look and fit so fantastic. I recall a Threads issue that showed the difference between just "making" the garment and one with added touches (and effort!). Your dress was definitely worth all that effort!
Susan W said... (5/3/05 8:27 AM) Reply
Kathryn, there isn't anything left to say. Exquisite, elegant, couture and so much more, plus your perfect review make this a pure pleasure to enjoy. Thank you so much for doing the review and sharing yet another very special project. Susan
ryan's mom said... (5/3/05 6:52 AM) Reply
Wow! Fabulous dress! Fabulous shoes! Looks like a dress you'd see on some Hollywood star.
Sew4Fun said... (5/3/05 6:32 AM) Reply
Wow! Absolutely stunning, Kathryn! What impresses me most is the unseen couture details. It is no wonder your dress is so stunning on the outside when you see the workmanship on the inside!
AnneM said... (5/3/05 6:21 AM) Reply
I saw this pattern, and said "nope, I don't like it." Then I saw your dress, and said "that's great!" No wonder you aren't bothering with making the other version. Very nice with the ribbon belt, also; gives it multiple looks. (Very funny on your "pink & glowing" comment.)
GorgeousFabrics said... (5/3/05 6:09 AM) Reply
Thanks for the info on the backseam and flower Kathryn. That's really helpful to know. I think I gotta get me this pattern now! -Ann
KathleenS said... (5/3/05 5:36 AM) Reply
Wonderful dress - just shows what you can do with a relatively simple fabric. I like the two embellishment options (flower/belt). Thanks for all the detail pictures.
pharmercoon said... (5/3/05 4:22 AM) Reply
Kathryn, Thanks for the wonderful review! You have inspired my sewing since we've become internet friends--now you are sharing with so many!! Beautiful dress, your attention to detail is amazing! I want to be you when I grow up!! Kay
Tonia Van Dyk said... (5/3/05 4:06 AM) Reply
Kathyrn, it's good to "see" you here! I love your dress, it is gorgeous. Thank you for a very detailed review.
Tonia Van Dyk said... (5/3/05 4:05 AM) Reply
Kathryn, it's good to "see" you here! I love your dress, it is gorgeous. Thank you for a very detailed review.
Maychi said... (5/3/05 3:14 AM) Reply
Wow, fabulous dress, just stunning.
flowermama said... (5/3/05 2:04 AM) Reply
My goodness, there is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said - what a dress! My only other comment is that I would LOVE to snoop in your closet to see other garments you have made!
Kathryn said... (5/3/05 1:23 AM) Reply
Thank you all, for your wonderful comments, I feel pink and glowing all wait, that's the dress :-) ! Ann, I did NOT curve the center back seam in as I usually do. I was able to get the curvature I needed from the back princess seams. I had never done this prickstitching with beads technique before and didn't want to add another variable. Besides, the zipper is short--it just comes to the upper hipline, because I did not want to extend it into the skirt. I thought the prickstitching/seed bead detail would be lost if I did that. Dr. Sue, there are lots of ribbon books that outline this flower making method. The library has them as well. Basically, you run a running stitch along the long edge of a ribbon and gather it until it curls into a gentle curlique; you then affix it to a buckram base. The bud is a length of ribbon, stitched into a cylinder and the gathered on both edges with a little fiberfill stuffing inside. The buckram underside is covered with felt when the flower is finished, and a brooch pin is stitched to the felt. HTH. Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement!
CatherineN said... (5/2/05 11:48 PM) Reply
Alll the skill and creativity you have poured into this dress have produced a dress of outstanding beauty.
GoSewGirl said... (5/2/05 10:52 PM) Reply
What an inspiration your dress is! Thanks for all the great detail photos - it's a really stunning dress!
Lori V said... (5/2/05 9:53 PM) Reply
Beautiful job, great review
PVA said... (5/2/05 9:28 PM) Reply
Wow, what's left for me to say? I can only endorse what the others have already said. I especially want to thank you for the review, all the construction details & all the many photos! It's exactly the kind of review I love to read. You effectively walked us thru the whole process. The result is a perfectly fabulous dress! Great achievement!
drsue said... (5/2/05 9:21 PM) Reply
What a fabulous dress. You should give instructions on making the flower in a tip!
Jennie Pakula said... (5/2/05 9:02 PM) Reply
I can't tell you how much I LOVE your dress. I'm sure the attention to detail with the skirt has really paid off - it looks so crisp and perfect ... and the belt and flower ... and oh my gosh the shoes ... Delightful!!
GorgeousFabrics said... (5/2/05 9:02 PM) Reply
Stunning, stunning, stunning job! I love the zipper treatment. Did you do a straight seam in the back or did you curve it? -Ann
Cami said... (5/2/05 8:48 PM) Reply
Great dress, great review. Thanks.
MarthaH said... (5/2/05 8:47 PM) Reply
Can't come up with any words that haven't already been used. What a treat to read your review. Thanks.
alicia said... (5/2/05 7:46 PM) Reply
Wow, wow, wow. The silk is stunning, and you did a beautiful job on that zipper.
BjP said... (5/2/05 7:33 PM) Reply
I also would love to have just one more picture - you wearing it! What a beautiful dress and a wonderfully written review. This is such a beautiful example of what we all strive for!
bheath said... (5/2/05 7:30 PM) Reply
Kathryn - just gorgeous. The dress is also a beautiful color. Fabulous job!
Elona said... (5/2/05 7:00 PM) Reply
Kathryn, what an enchanting dress--a lovely, fluffy confection!
Linda E. said... (5/2/05 6:56 PM) Reply
Wow you dress is beautiful your review is very informative and well written thanks for all the details.
PegL said... (5/2/05 6:49 PM) Reply
What an incredibly beautiful dress! I love all the couture techniques and treatments you added to the dress too! Very impressive! Thanks for a very complete review too. The many photos were wonderful! Would love to see a photo of you in this special dress!
zinnia said... (5/2/05 6:26 PM) Reply
Fantastic review! Thank you!
Karla Kizer said... (5/2/05 6:24 PM) Reply
Perfect, fabulous, stunning...such overused words. I can't think of the superlative that describes this dress. When it's photographed for InStyle magazine, maybe they'll come up with the right adjectives. I love it.
Jennifer shaw said... (5/2/05 6:22 PM) Reply
Wow, what a glorious ode to fab pink and the early 60's!! It is simply stunning. Thank you for sharing your review.
jlg said... (5/2/05 6:14 PM) Reply
So gorgeous. Lovely, lovely dress. Thanks for all of the close ups of your details. Very inspiring.
CarolynGM said... (5/2/05 6:09 PM) Reply
Thanks for an extraordinary review of your gorgeous dress. I know I'm dating myself here, but I wore dresses like this (even made some of them myself) in junior high. I made the petticoats too and starched them in the bathtub. Your interpretation is uniquely you but very authentic as well. Audrey would love it.
Princess Jenny said... (5/2/05 6:03 PM) Reply
What a wonderful review. Not only is your dress absolutely gorgeous, but your the way you detailed the steps along the way with pictures, was great! So inspirational :)
els said... (5/2/05 6:00 PM) Reply
Kathryn, my compliments on your dress it is stunning, gorgeous and very haute couture made, thanks for the thorough review and all the details pictures.
Mary Stiefer said... (5/2/05 5:57 PM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful and your review is just as beautiful. Your accounting of detail and what needs to be done is exactly what we all should strive for. Thanks again for a job well done.
Teri said... (5/2/05 5:44 PM) Reply
Wow! You did a great job......I hope you have someplace fun to wear this lovely creation.
Gigi Louis said... (5/2/05 5:41 PM) Reply
Scrumptuous! Never mind Audrey and Jackie -this one's all Kathryn. It is an absolute confection.
Patti B said... (5/2/05 5:39 PM) Reply
Kathryn, what a stunning dress! All of your details just enhance it. Great review.

by: acmena