Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
|BurdaStyle Magazine: 05-2010-111 - Type:Dresses |
|Viewed 274 times
||1 more reviews|
Review rated Helpful
by 1 people Very Helpful
by 2 people
|About Ellenatlga |
|Member since: 3/8/06 |
|Reviews written: 123|
|Favored by: 36 people|
|patterns reviewed: 123|
|Posted on:||9/26/13 6:42 AM |
|Last Updated:||9/26/13 6:51 AM|
More Info provided by Ellenatlga
|Pattern Rating:||Highly Recommend |
|NEW! See reviews of patterns from this issue|
|Fabric:||Stretch Denim [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Related Links |
|Click on to add a link|
This is a great dress, when this issue came out, I didn't really give this a second look. Then, I saw a dress on Pinterest that had to have. This pattern was almost a spot-on match.
I don't find Burda instructions very helpful, so I turned to outside sources for some extra help on all the great details.
The pockets and flaps are not the patterns. Those had some pleating and extra buttons that I didn't want. So, I just drafted my own, plain square. Thanks to the tutorials from the Off the Cuff blog for help!
The center front plaquet turned out very nice, thanks to help from David Coffin's book Shirtmaking I couldn't understand the instructions from the magazine.
The sleeve plaquet is done in the continuous bias bound method. The only place I've found instructions for this is in any Heirloom Sewing book by Martha Pullen. I considered adding a separate plaquet piece using David Coffin's method, but the denim was a bit bulky for that technique. I found that out when I did the center plaquet.
I lined the pockets with contrast cotton, just for fun.
The pattern is more of an A-line shaped dress, and I wanted mine to be straight. I took the side seams in an inch on each side, tapering to the original seam line right at the under arm. I also nipped in the waist at the side seams. For the pockets and flaps, I drafted my own. I didn't want the pleated ones that the pattern showed. The fabric is a heavy stretch denim from my stash. I traced and cut a size 40, which is my usual size in Burda. I could have gone with a smaller size, but I think the original pattern was meant to be made up in a light weight shirting fabric and be blousy and loose. I curved the hem for more of a shirt look, but it's not real noticeable in the pictures. I used snaps because a) I didn't want to do buttonholes and b) I didn't have 9 matching buttons in my stash. Those snaps are great! I highly recommend The Snap Source for any snaps or tools; best product ever.
This is a very cute dress, a great wardrobe addition for all you shirt dress lovers out there! You can check my blog for more pictures and info.
<< Previous Next >>
Login to Add a Comment