Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 8741 (peasant-style blouse)

Reviewed by:isecondsis

Pattern Photo:Simplicity 8741
Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
  • Tip: lingerie guards
  • Tip: rolled hem on sheer fabric
  • Fabric:Polyester Chiffon  [See other projects in this fabric]
    Pattern Description:

A simple peasant blouse with raglan sleeves and a drawstring in casing.

Pattern Sizing:
    I made a size 10 because I didn't want it to be too roomy.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? The design is the same, but mine is made from a soft flowy fabric so looks different.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very easy. I don't think most sewers will need the directions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I wanted a classic peasant blouse pattern, to make out of a luxurious fabric, like the couture peasant blouses in silk and chiffon. I decided to use chiffon in a rich color. The pattern is very flattering, with the neckline sitting very wide on your shoulders, sort of held on the cap of your shoulder bone. This presents a problem with bra straps, though, particularly if you want to wear the drawstring open. So I added lingerie guides, which is great!

Fabric Used:
    Polyester chiffon. The fabric photographs very badly, but is really a rich color.
    Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
    I changed the sleeves to be full length with a slit. I added lingerie guides, which I made out of vintage rayon seam binding. I hid the guides and little snaps under the dark part of the plaid pattern. I also made handkerchief rolled hems in the hem and sleeves, rather than the plain hem, because I wanted it to be luxurious.
    Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
    I would sew it again and would highly recommend it. It is one of my favorite blouses.
    Conclusion:

SGIMI SALLY said... (11/23/14 9:54 PM) Reply
    Well put together ..great fabric choice gives it a unique look !
    persevering said... (10/29/14 9:01 AM) Reply
    Thanks for sharing your sewing experience - yes really pretty! You've opened my eyes to consider sewing this style if one also chooses such a lovely fabric.
    TinaLea said... (10/28/14 8:00 PM) Reply
    These are really pretty - I'm guessing the photos don't really do justice to how nice the fabric is. I recently bought some chiffon for the same type project, but sewing on chiffon scares me!!!!

by: FreyaStark