Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 45793-1021 (Burberry Knit Collared Jacket)

Reviewed by:nancy2001

About nancy2001starstarstarstar
AL USA
Member since: 12/3/05
Posted on:10/1/13 6:34 PM

Self Drafted Pattern: 45793-1021 by nancy2001  Self Drafted Pattern: 45793-1021 by nancy2001

fattyboomboom said... (10/9/13 10:40 PM) Reply
Awesome.
bananaoil said... (10/8/13 10:48 PM) Reply
Brava!
becca a said... (10/4/13 10:06 PM) Reply
What amazing jackets you sew! This one is very haute couture.
nancy2001 said... (10/3/13 9:25 PM) Reply
Thank you for your very kind comments. Sharon, I had made two or three test collars previously and knew the approximate size of the rectangle I needed. But I tend to do things like this on the fly and make up my own methods on the spot. To get the stockingette "ribs" running horizontally, I knit a very wide rectangle and folded it in half, right sides together. Then I made an identical rectangle, folded it and then seamed it to the first rectangle. This seam became the center back seam of the collar. Next, I draped it on my jacket and used two sided leather tape to mark where the seam lines should be. I sewed the seams with my sewing machine using the straight stitch. I trimmed the seam fairly close, then turned the knitted piece so it was right side out. I oriented the collar with the seamed edge facing the center of the garment. Then I hand stitched the double layered overlay to the outer edge of the woven shawl collar. Finally I hand stitched the overlay to the inner layer of the jacket. All I can say is I'm sure Burberry doesn't make their collars using my crazy method.
Sarsez said... (10/3/13 6:03 AM) Reply
I've been looking forward to reading this review. The collar looks fantastic. Well done and welcome to machine knitting!
Sharonspils said... (10/2/13 9:46 PM) Reply
Stunning jacket and I am really curious how you dealt with the rectangle machine knitted collar pieces to end up with that gorgeous shawl knitted collar.
JDpenelope said... (10/2/13 8:36 PM) Reply
What a great review, chock full of tips. Thanks for all of the pictures and links. And Happy knitting!
MrsCharisma said... (10/2/13 11:23 AM) Reply
This is simply amazing!!! Love how the knit collar turned out!
grays08 said... (10/2/13 8:29 AM) Reply
Stunning, beautiful jacket, impeccably made and so refined - loved reading your process! Wonderful inspiration too! I was also admiring Burberry so enjoyed seeing this.
Karine said... (10/2/13 8:18 AM) Reply
Fabulous jacket! Love the knitted collar overlay. Thank you for the detailed review as well.
K_sew said... (10/1/13 9:40 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for sharing your creative process. Your jacket is wonderful!
wexford said... (10/1/13 9:35 PM) Reply
Wow - this jacket is fabulous. I hope someday to be able to sew something like this.
AnneM said... (10/1/13 8:14 PM) Reply
A one-month contest and you are dong a designer jacket knock-off. Great jacket, nice style. Although it sounds like you got yourself in trouble now, with 3 new knitting machines - you will certainly be keeping yourself busy.
ALFALFA said... (10/1/13 7:48 PM) Reply