|This is my entry in week 4 of the the FabricMart Fashion Challenge. Before Wednesday at midnight, you can vote here.|
Pattern Description: Fitted dresses A, B, C, D have front and back princess seams, back zipper and sleeve variations; dress A has purchased trim and back slit; dress B has contrast panels and back slit; dress C has short self-faced sleeves and left front slit; dress D has elbow length sleeves and back slit; dresses A, B, C, D lengths are 1" below mid-knee.
I made view D with the hem slit from view C.
Pattern Sizing: 8-22. I made a 14, which is normal.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much.
Were the instructions easy to follow? To be honest, I didn't look at them. I am not a fan of really long instructions and these are really long. The purpose is to include lots of fitting tips, which Palmer/Pletsch is excellent for, but I already know my alterations. If you don't know your alterations, you will find this to be extremely useful. The dress itself is quite easy and straightforward to sew.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This is a GREAT pattern. I am so glad it's still in the pattern books! It has a beautiful front yoke, with lots of possibilities for color blocking or embellishment. It has front and back princess seams, with lots of possibilities for fit.
Fabric Used: I used black rayon-nylon-lycra ponte. A very well behaved fabric. Since I was putting some fairly hefty studs on the yoke, I interfaced the yoke using Pam Erny's excellent fusible I/F.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
- I lowered the bust fullness on the princess seam by about 2" and widened it by about 3/8".
- The reviews here alerted me to the fact that the neckline is high. I lowered mine at CF by 1".
- I narrowed the shoulder by 5/8".
- I used a shorter zipper. (I didn't really need the zipper at all, but mine is part of the embellishment.)
- I embellished the front yokes with studs. I also put a row on the back neckline.
- I widened the front waist a tad.
- I narrowed the hips throughout all the pattern pieces.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I loved this pattern and will use it again!
Conclusion: This is a beautifully drafted pattern! You can read more on my blog. And, before Wednesday, you can vote for your favorite LBD here.