This is my second refashioned project and I think I'm addicted. 1st refashioned project here. Both of these garments were refashioned from garments given to me by one of my gf. My gf has been giving me clothes that she no longer wore. She has pretty high end taste so I am the lucky recipient of many designer pieces.
The original garment was a long shirt dress. Original Garment Front Original Garment Back
It had 2 huge patch pockets, one over each boob. I can't imagine what I would put in them. The waist tie was a little outdated. The length also needs an update.
The first modification I did was for fitting. I changed the shoulder slope, narrowed the shoulders and took it in on the sides. It helped that the garment was 1-2 sizes too big so when I took the side seams in, it raised the armhole.
Then I changed the ties. I unpicked the metal rings and squared off both ends of the tie so they would match.
The last change was for length. I raised the hem to knee length. I ended up with a button right at the bottom of the hem which didn't look right. I ended up removing the button and zigzag the buttonhole closed. With the texture of the fabric you can't really see the closed buttonhole.
And those huge pockets. I unpicked them. Fortunately it didn't leave any tale tell signs. I thought about moving them down into the skirt area but decided against them. I'll save them as fabric scraps.
I love the fact that I can give new and different life to a garment that has been hanging in my friend's closet for years. I always learn a lot about how the garment is constructed when deconstructing them. Some of their methods are pretty interesting. Sometimes I'm surprised at how sloppy a $600 skirt has the zipper installed. Really, we sewers are too hard on ourselves. So I would encourage everyone to take up a refashion project if they haven't before. Happy refashioning.