|Pattern Description: |
According to Burda: a cape.
S (34/36) M (38/40) L (42/44)
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Absolutely, except for my minor changes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, the instructions were good. I've become better at understanding Burda's instructions, and these only required a couple of instances where I wasn't quite sure what they meant on the first read-through.
The instructions for the zipper and hood attachment were particularly clear and easy to follow.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the look of this garment. It's a little bit unusual - not your typical cape with the cord running across the middle of the garment. The hood has a visor and the sleeves have tabs that close with D-rings. I think what really sold it to me was the three colours that Burda published in their "favourite garment" pages: mustard, red linen, and dark khaki (the colour in which I made my version).
a heavy fall/winter weight 100% ramie fabric, pre-washed and dried on hot settings 5 times and silk charmeuse for the lining
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
First off, I lined this garment. There are no instructions/requirements for lining the garment, but I wanted a lining. Here's how I did it:
1. cut the front, back, sleeves and CB hood and side hood pieces out silk
2. sewed the lining and the body of the garment as separate pieces
3. attached the lining to the shell, wrong sides together, using a short basting stitch at each seam allowance (front sleeve, back sleeve and CB seams)
4. I sewed the outer shell of the hood and the facing, side front and CB pieces of lining as two separate hoods, and then stitched them together after attaching the visor. I also double interfaced the visor. I could have used buckram, but I wanted something firm, but not as stiff as buckram.
5. treated the two as one piece when attaching the hood to the garment and the hem/front facings
6. fell-stitched the front facings to the lining, keeping both free from the outer shell. The hem facings were top-stitched through all thicknesses to form the casing for the hem cord.
I left off the little piece of twill tape on the R front, as this seems to be a mock welt pocket sort of thingy, and I wasn't interested, frankly.
I made the sleeve tabs 3/4" instead of 5/8", as this was the width of the D-rings required, and the narrow width of tab looked badly done i.e. homemade. The wider width is better.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I might sew this again. I might not sew this again. My issues with the pattern are several: the sleeves, when one is standing with arms by one's side, end about 3 inches from the wrist, and ride up to the elbows if one is driving, shopping, reaching, carrying a bag or generally not sitting/standing around looking pretty. This is kind of annoying, especially now that it's starting to get a little cooler.
The hood is very deep, and needs to be put over one's head with care, otherwise you get this look. The neck is also very wide, so a scarf doesn't look so fantastic.
The "sleeves" are also problematic in that they seem to catch on everything if you're browsing through a store or whatever. And if you do decide to cinch in the shape a bit by pulling up the cord and tying it at CF, you get this arms-tied-down idea.
It's a weird garment that restricts movement, isn't particularly warm (my fabric choices, probably, although the silk lining helps) and has a very wide neckline, but y'know, I've worn this every day since making it up. I like my unusual cape/poncho thingy, and if you're looking for something different, I'd say go for it. It was tremendous amount of fun to make this project! Please read my blog post for more details and pictures.