Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8789 (Dress and Cummerbund)

Reviewed by:CraftAddict

Pattern Photo:Vogue Patterns 8789
Vogue Patterns Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
Fabric:Satin  [See other projects in this fabric]
EDIT 17-MARCH-15:
Last year a friend was looking for a cream colored dress for a function at the last minute and was having trouble finding anything. I convinced her to try on this dress I had made a couple of years ago. She and her husband both loved the silhouette but unfortunately the dress didn't fit. So I ended up making her one but she wanted sleeves. I want to say I borrowed sleeves from V8615. I also omitted the buttons on the shoulders so I changed the construction method a bit. At any rate, this dress was a HIT. I've made it for her and others about 10 times now. I've also made another for myself and plan at least one more for me. I'm updating the review to add a couple of the pics. The red/black floral version is worn with a petticoat underneath which I also made.

Pattern Description:
MISSES'/MISSES' PETITE DRESS AND CUMMERBUND: Pullover dress has fitted bodice, skirt front/back cut-in-one, no right side seam, and left side zipper. A: bias bodice. B: button/loop shoulder closing, dress cut on crosswise grain of fabric. Bias, self-lined cummerbund has hook/eye closure.

Pattern Sizing:
I meant to cut size 14 but cut the 12 and had to let out the side seams and darts a bit.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes - other than the fact that I didn't use a border print.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. The instructions were pretty straight-forward although I did change my cutting layout just a bit.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the simplicity of this dress and particularly liked the boat neckline of View B. The buttons at the shoulders were also a nice touch.

Fabric Used:
I used a poly-satin from my stash.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I absolutely detest pulling a dress overhead. My routine is to do my hair & makeup and then getting dressed as the last step. I have ruined several clothing items with makeup & body oils by pulling on dresses overhead. Not to mention messing up my hair.

For this reason, I omitted the side zipper and moved the zipper to the back. In doing so, I cut the bodice back in two pieces rather than on the fold. This is the reason why I intended to go up a size but in my haste I cut the wrong size. I was able to find enough room by letting out the side seams and darts just a bit.

For the skirt, I used the cutting layout for View A since I wasn't using a border print and cut the skirt front on the fold. I don't like seams up my front if I can avoid it at all.

I self lined the bodice rather than using the facings.

I wore a belt I'd made for a different dress. I do have a scrap of fabric left and plan to cut & make the cummerbund.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I probably will not sew this pattern again but I would recommend it to others.

Conclusion:
This was a quick project with only a few sewing days before I needed to wear it. I didn't have time to add the waist stay or a petticoat to wear underneath. I will fix those issues before wearing this dress again. Overall I am pleased with the results for the limited time I had and I receive many compliments when I wore it.

Sweater knit fabrics

The Smuggler's Daughter

Online Fabric Store

Schera said... (3/19/15 0:54 AM) Reply
Beautiful dresses!
sew fresh said... (3/18/15 8:59 PM) Reply
I love all three dresses and absolutely adore the red and black brocade fabric.
egreen42 said... (3/17/15 11:38 PM) Reply
Classic Beauty, love it!
makeityours said... (3/17/15 10:27 PM) Reply
Wow! They are all so beautiful
Robin Denning said... (3/17/15 7:38 PM) Reply
each version looks awesome - what a great friend!!
canei said... (3/17/15 7:29 PM) Reply
They are all beautiful. I love the flowers at the shoulder...beautiful....
Utta Retch said... (3/17/15 1:02 PM) Reply
Ooh, the red version is lush. I was given V2903 as a birthday present a couple of years' ago and one day I might even sew it.
bsacosta said... (3/17/15 12:42 PM) Reply
I love the sleeveless version. The fabric lays so smoothly on you. It is very versatile, by changing the color of the belt and adding a scarf would give this dress a whole new look. Awesome job!
MrsCharisma said... (3/17/15 12:12 PM) Reply
Gorgeous as usual!
marec said... (3/17/15 10:20 AM) Reply
These are all so pretty. I love this full style on you!
catinthehat2 said... (3/17/15 10:09 AM) Reply
All three dresses are lovely!
canei said... (10/23/13 9:34 AM) Reply
Pretty!!!
imsewcrazy said... (10/22/13 6:49 PM) Reply
Beautiful! Looks lovely on you!
Fully Busted said... (10/22/13 3:17 PM) Reply
I love the drape of this dress on you, really beautiful.
MrsCharisma said... (10/22/13 1:08 PM) Reply
This looks great on you!! Very classic!
Re Becca said... (10/22/13 12:47 PM) Reply
That looks so modern. I really don't like facings, so I would have self-lined too. Great job, very flattering.
Texahoma said... (10/22/13 11:52 AM) Reply
This is beautiful, it looks modern. I didn't recognize the pattern, I love the fabric you chose.

by: Mary Themo...