Not sure I should even be writing a review since I really did not use one pattern, but this is actually two patterns used not as designed to make this costume. One was a tunic pattern and the other was a child's robe pattern.
My DD wanted a Mulan costume for spirit day at her school. We Googled Mulan costumes and found several options. Mulan actually has more costume changes than any other princess. We found a photo that we liked and I chose fabrics and patterns to mimic the design. I did not make the pants shown in the photo. The top is actually two pieces. and the belt is two pieces.
Underneath s a pale blue top I made from a tunic pattern, McCall's 5628. All I was really trying to get from the pattern was the sleeves and a body to hold them on. I used inexpensive lining fabric from JoAnn's. I made it just longer than waist length so that the belt would hold it down. The tunic pattern expected a yoke, but I just raised the neckline to a large rounded neck. I used hug a snug to finish off the neckline to make things simple. The sleeves are hemmed with a band serged on and the hem was just left serged since it would never be seen.
The gray tunic over the top started with a child's robe pattern and some gray Kona cotton. I had made my son a bathrobe a while back using McCall's 3906. I made a muslin using the front and back piece only of the robe pattern. Using my dress form I decided that I needed to extend the wrap of the front further. I just sewed on extra piece of muslin fabric and trimmed it to the shape I wanted. I put it on my daughter and tied a string around the waist and using a marker drew on the muslin where I wanted to cut to make the front look like the photo - sort of like a jumper. I also marked the angle that I wanted to cut the bottom. After taking it off her and trimming to my markings (allowing a narrow 3/8" hem and a small casing for elastic to make the sides hug the body and cutting the bottom evenly with a long ruler, I took the muslin apart to use as a pattern. I used this pattern to cut my Kona cotton. I sewed the shoulders and the side seams and then made a small casing on the side to hold the elastic. I just serged the edges and turned to narrow hem. I used some straight of grain strips of burgundy lining fabric as the band going up the front and around the neck. I also made some piping with string and bias cut lining fabric in the pale blue to accent the band.
For the belt I actually made two belts. For the pattern for the wider one I used cling wrap and wrapped it several times around my daughter's waist. I used a sharpie and drew the shape of the belt I wanted marking the center front and side seams. I cut off the cling wrap and carefully cut it to make my belt pattern - allowing for some extra to overlap in the back. I cut two of each and interfaced the front. After sewing together and turning I used velcro as the belt closure (in the back). I had bought a 1/8 of a yard cut of coral lining fabric that I sewed into a tube to make a tie to complete the second part of the belt.
I had decided to make white pajama pants for the bottoms to mimic the white skirt from the inspiration costume since she would be at school. I made this in one evening and started getting too tired to make the pants, so she just wore some black pants she already had with it. She loved it. Costumes are my favorite thing to sew, so I was thrilled to make it.