|Pattern Description: |
Coat is single layer, has pockets in side seams, and outer edges have no hems or facings. Outer edges can be finished with straight stitches and will fray on some fabrics, or edges can be serged, finished with zig-zag or decorative stitches. View A has collar, lapel, and two button front closure. View B has shawl attached to neckline, and one button front closure. Fabrics: Designed for heavyweight knit and woven fabrics, such as Polarfleece, blanket fleece, berber fleece, wool, tweed, wool flannel. Wrong side of fabric will show.
Front Pattern Envelope
Back Pattern Envelope
Pattern Pieces Drawings
XS to XL
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yeah, I guess. :o(
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I don't recall EVER having a Kwik Sew pattern with lousy directions.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I was SO excited about this pattern, because I thought it was going to be PERFECT for some MUCH COVETED GREEN WOOL COATING that I have, but before I cut into that, I wanted to test out the pattern on something else.
I actually like View A the best (the longer version), but I had some throws that I had planned to use to make something for my mom, then changed my mind, so I decided to use those and do the shorter version with the scarf. (Mom is always FREEZING, and I was going to make her something she could wear in the house, until I realized one day as I was driving home from work, I've already gotten her an electric throw blanket, a down vest, a "neck warmer" and a fleece poncho with a warm collar, and she doesn't use any of them.) :o)
I like the simplicity of the design: one layer of fabric, no facings, no interfacing, good for fulled wool coating.
Like I said, the first go 'round was some wool throws I used, and then the second one is a wool knit. I think I got that on Fabric Mart a long time ago. All I remember is it was expensive -- ha!
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
>>:o( Well, first of all, having just been through the non-darted trial of the tops I made (having to add a dart after the fact), I added a dart to the front pattern piece, in virtually the same shape as I had used for the top I made the weekend before. The link below shows my cobbled together front pattern piece. FIRST I cut it down the whole pattern piece, which I then realized I didn't need to do, so then I had to tape that all up again. THEN I sliced it crossways, which is what I was supposed to be doing. LATER I had to enlarge the dart. At any rate, I tried to draw in with red Magic Marker the final alterations. :o(
Full Bust Adjustment (FBA)
So I made the first version in the size that I THOUGHT I should make, considering this was a blanket coat (thick) and would need some extra ease, or so I thought. I made it an XL through the shoulders/neckline, and about an XL-and-a-half at the side seams. When I got the thing done (having SCREWED UP numerous times in the cutting AND the sewing), it was HUGE and I absolutely LOATHE it.
That's WITH the darts, by the way, albeit a smaller dart than Version No. 2. Imagine it without them. The shoulders are hanging way off of MY shoulders, and not in a good way. There's just way too much fabric everywhere except the HIPS, OKAY? It made me SO MAD, I went RIGHT BACK IN THERE and started on Version No. 2. I was so hopped up, I cut right into some EXPENSIVE FABRIC, and I didn't even CARE. :o))
Close-up of fabric/buttons.
So on the second go 'round (which is the project photo), I increased the dart width by about an inch and a half and also lengthened the dart by, I don't know, an inch and a quarter, perhaps. Is that right? I think that's right. Anyway, it's the red lines on the picture of the FBA. I made this one 24 inches (back length), and I used View A with the collar instead of View B with the scarf. I cut a size XL through the body, and the neck/shoulders are a size L.
Well, I had trouble with the fabric CURLING at the edges, no matter how many times I tried to flatten it out. So I ended up having to make a double layer everywhere except the sleeves. So I made ONE jacket sewn together (with the collar, without the sleeves), then I made ANOTHER jacket just like it, then I sewed them right sides together, leaving an opening at the bottom hem to turn through. Then I hand stitched that bottom opening closed after everything was turned right side out.
So now I had a double-layer coat with everything but the sleeves attached, so I attached those next. One thing I didn't like about the sleeves on the first version was that the bottom sleeve width was too wide, in my opinion. So I took a little tuck in the sleeve at the hem, which actually takes out about 2.5 inches at the sleeve hem, and I sewed a button on there.
Sleeve hem with tuck and button.
After all that, I WENT TO BED.
So this morning when I had to take the DREADED PICTURES for PR, I decided I DO like Version 2. It's about right for this time of year, too, when it's in the 30s in the morning and getting up to 40s-50s during the day.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I often read reviews where the reviewer warns that the pattern runs big. Oftentimes it's some cute little wisp of a woman who would look good in a BURLAP SACK, and I'm thinking to myself, well, good, maybe it'll work for me then. :o) In this case, trust me, you do NOT need to add to the pattern sizing for bulk of the fabric. It DOES run big, and that's coming from me, who also runs big. If you find, as I did, that the 1/4-inch seam allowances really aren't big enough for the bulk of your fabric, don't worry, you've got enough ease in there to make a bigger seam. :o)
I love the simplicity of the design, with just a single layer of fabric throughout. Strongly consider sizing down if you decide to make this one, though.