Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Member since: 5/4/12
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:10/29/13 5:45 PM
Project Photo:Sewaholic Patterns: 1204 by sunnysewing

Sewaholic Patterns: 1204 by sunnysewing  Sewaholic Patterns: 1204 by sunnysewing
Pattern Photo:Sewaholic Patterns 1204
Sewaholic Patterns Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Available for sale on PR: $15.98 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Cotton  [See other projects in this fabric]
Related Links
Click on to add a link
Pattern Description:
from Sewaholic's website "Brighten up you wardrobe with a pretty new blouse! The Alma Blouse is a feminine, semi-fitted blouse with neckline and sleeve variations. Darts create a fitted silhouette without being too tight, with an optional tie belt to cinch the waistline. The Alma Blouse closes at the side with an invisible zipper."

I've admired every one of these cute tops that popped up on patternreview.com. I figured I'd give it a go because I'm totally a pear shaped gal and Sewaholic tailors to my shape.

Pattern Sizing:
0-16; It comes with sizes 0-16. My measurements put me exactly at a 10 (shocking that I wasn't in between sizes!). I cut and sewed an 8 because others on PR were saying it was a little large.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
yes! It did!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions are clearly laid out and only on the back side of the sheet so you think it is fast and easy. Don't be fooled though! There are multiple things to do within each step.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I was very disappointed in the zipper explanation "sew invisible zipper on left side." Um. ok. new to me and that is all I get? I resorted to using my "Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing" from like 1974 or something. It was perfect in picture and explanation. I did have to unpick the zipper two freaking times before getting it right. Honestly, I didn't know to iron/push over the coils on the darn zipper before sewing it. It was my first time! but after I tried to zip it to no avail, it was like a light bulb. Once I knew how the zipper worked I understood what I was doing wrong.

Fabric Used:
a cute floral I have no idea when/where I got it. I know it's cotton - it is soft but not lawn or voile. I think it *might* have been a Mill End find for $3.95/yard.
I used 2 yards of 44" wide fabric for View A. Pattern calls for exactly that. I also used a 12'-14" invisible zipper - it was all wal-mart had and shortened it. I'm sure I ended up with a 12" zipper in the end.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I changed the interfacing/facing. I used this cute technique mentioned by Sewbusylizzy who credits Slapdash sewist and Sunny Girl - where you sew the interfacing on to the facing right sides together (fusible side up), and then flip it and then iron it on. It makes such a nice neat edge!

In Step 11, make sure to catch the ends of the sleeve caps in when you first sew the binding on; I also clipped the binding raw edge before flipping it inside after trimming the seam.

Other changes: square shoulder adjustment to front/back bodice as well then as to the facings. Added 1" in length to the bodices. Sloped 1/2" out of back bodice and facing because I hate back neck gaping.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
yes and yes!

Conclusion:
LOVE IT! So cute. This is unlike anything in my closet. I usually wear knits so I like how different it is. The sleeve caps are a tad restricting but it is manageable. I would like to try it in a cotton with a bit of stretch, maybe even a sateen? I'm thinking cobalt blue with the belt added on too. I'd also like to try it in a seersucker and/or lawn. Oh the possibilities!

Changes for next time:
figure out why there are folds from bust to side of hip. Maybe too tight on hip? Maybe from swayback pooling in back?
address the swayback - can't ignore it in this shirt.

tons of pics and info on my blog. Thanks!
Buy this pattern for $15.98     Add to Bag Add to Bag

thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
grays08 said...
Too cute! Yeah I'm guessing it's the swayback getting you, but hey at least you know how to address it thanks to Nancy, lol. I don't usually adjust for this in tops either but need to as it's a problem for me. Love that you got this done and posted - it looks so nice on you!
10/29/13 5:55 PM
demoiselle said...
Adorable top!
10/30/13 9:32 AM
sunnysewing said...
Thanks! @grays08 yes, nancy will surely help me with that swayback ;-) I already have that page earmarked!
10/30/13 9:45 AM
Deepika said...
Your blouse is beautiful! I just bought a liberty voile which looks like your fabric. I am totally copying you :) Thanks for the heads up on sizing.
10/30/13 11:01 AM
sunnysewing said...
thank you! copy away :) I can't wait to see yours in a voile - I bet it will be lovely
10/30/13 4:52 PM
margy.64 said...
Very pretty top. Love the shape.
10/31/13 2:46 AM

Sassy Bag
Sassy Bag

Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Tea Party Sundress, Bloomers, and Playsuit Digital Pattern ( Size 2T-5 )

Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Close Case Files Bombshell Swimsuit Digital Pattern (Print at home)
Close Case Files Bombshell Swimsuit Digital Pattern (Print at home)

Price: $11.00

No Pattern Used Kitchen curtains
Review by sewsunny37 on 9/20/10
Read Review

Simplicity 2165 Pattern ( Size ALL )
Simplicity 2165 Pattern ( Size ALL )

Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8727 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Vogue 8727 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Price: $27.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us