Pattern Description: Dress has fitted, lined bodice variations, gathered skirt and single layer tie ends (wrong side will show) with narrow hem, and side zipper. B: semi-fitted skirt. A,B: mock wrap, front bodice extends into pleated back neckline. C: front shoulder pleats.
Pattern Sizing: 8 - 16 16 - 24 I cut out a 10
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Not completely.
Were the instructions easy to follow? They were fine although I had to read and re-read the neckline and pleat instructions.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
LIKES: I was attracted to the photo and illustrations. I loved the cut in shoulders and the bow.
DISLIKES: The bodice is huge and the shoulders were not cut in.
Fabric Used:silk/viscose blend from Mood Fabrics. I loved the fabric!
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1. The armsyce was so large I thought I had made a mistake, but after reviewing the instructions I determined it was drafted large and I removed 3” from each side.
2. Removing such width affected the darts in the bodice which I remedied by extending the existing darts by one inch. It also created awkward lines in the side seam forcing me to redraw the seams.
3. The shoulders are not cut in as the illustration implies. The look is achieved by creating a pleat in the back neck which is not nearly as dramatic as the illustration.
4. I overlooked the pattern description regarding the bow in which the wrong side of the fabric shows. I folded the sashes in half, sewed right sides together and turned so that the right side of the fabric would show when tied. This worked fine with my fabric but could be bulky with a heavier fabric.
5. The ties ran very long and I removed 10 inches from each tie.
I made the pattern work but it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. Had I studied the line drawing more carefully I might have had a different vision of the final result.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I doubt I will sew it again.
Conclusion: I made it work and like the dress primarily due to the fabric. I look forward to accessorizing it with different options.