Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Burda Plus Fashion Magazine: 01-2013-407 (Pencil skirt) - Type:Skirts    printable version
Review rated Very Helpful by 5 people
Project Photo:Burda Plus Fashion Magazine: 01-2013-407 by Tailypo

Pattern Photo:

Pattern Info provided by Tailypo

Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
NEW! See reviews of patterns from this issue
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Related Links
Click on to add a link
Pattern Description:
"Stunning pencil skirt with walking slit"

Pattern Sizing:
44-54. I made the 50.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
The Burda Plus model is standing half in shadow and in profile, so it is hard to say. My skirt is less of a pencil and more of a subtly tapered straight skirt, which I actually prefer for my decidedly non-pencilish, non-tapering body.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Perfunctory and minimalist, assuming you have other resources to guide you -- standard Burda. No glaring omissions or misdirections.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This is a very simple skirt pattern and I LOVE it. Two pieces -- a front and a back -- and instructions to cut a straight waistband, and you are good to go. I underlined and lined this skirt, but of course that still used the same 2 pattern pieces.

The drafting and design of this skirt are terrific. I often find that patterns in my size have too boxy a shape, or too much ease. This pattern resulted in a skirt that is nicely fitted through the hips.

The pattern is designed for more casual fabrics like denim or twill, and calls for a cf seam with topstitching. The fabric I used is a boucle-ish wool and I actually favored the more causal and modern styling of this skirt and figured that the center seam and slim shaping would give this a more modern vibe, since a stout woman in a knee-length wool boucle straight skirt could be on a one-way train to Dowdy Town.

Note that there is a subtle shaping to that center seam, with a 1/4" dart drafted into the seam at the center front waist. If you decide to eliminate the CF seam, you will have to add a second dart to the front (unless you have a thicker middle, of course).

Fabric Used:
Heck if I know. I love this sort of chartreuse color and snapped this up at an estate sale ages ago -- maybe 10 years? I got it for nothing. It is clearly wool based on a burn test but I don't know what to call this weave. I got bored with the search and decided to call it boucle. If you know better, please let me know -- here is a picture of it up close:

LINK

It is thinnish and a bit loosely woven so I decided to underline it with cotton batiste (please disregard my tragic failure at mitering that hem!), and I added a China silk lining.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't alter a thing other than adding a bit of length since I am 5'10. Next time I might take it in at the waist. Be aware that the back darts seem long to me, but that isn't really a complaint as long darts in the back suit my shape, but if you hate the look, note the length of the dart before you start.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This skirt is so extremely simple and so well drafted that I was able to devote the energy I normally use in fitting and adjusting to focus on making a really well-made garment (for me). I spent more time than usual making sure my invisible zipper was truly invisible and my darts didn't pucker. I did a lot more hand stitching than usual -- not just the hem but attaching the lining to the zipper and to the vent (please note this dress form is shaped NOTHING like me, and in fact my husband broke it and it is lopsided. This is not how my skirt actually fits me in back!)

Conclusion:
A really solid pattern that can be made up in a variety of fabrics, for a very flattering plus sized straight/pencil skirt!
thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
michellep74 said...
Great looking skirt! I love the color.
11/29/13 11:18 PM
sacjeanie said...
What a lovely garment and your invisible zipper is truly invisible. I still need to figure out the differences between underlining and lining. Thank you for the additional photos.
11/30/13 9:06 AM
wendyrb said...
I'm sure you'll be wearing your beautiful skirt a lot! Thanks for the detailed and helpful and humorous review.
11/30/13 5:30 PM
brissie71 said...
A great review. Thanks! I really like the slightly different style lines of this skirt and the colour is gorgeous - nothing dowdy about this one!
12/1/13 2:59 AM
annie11 said...
Beautiful. The color is really fresh and modern, and I like it with the blouse you have on the dress form!
12/2/13 9:54 AM

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern
J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

Price: $20.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Close Case Files Bombshell Swimsuit Digital Pattern (Print at home)
Close Case Files Bombshell Swimsuit Digital Pattern (Print at home)

Price: $11.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Pleated Mary Janes Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )
Peek-A Boo Pleated Mary Janes Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )

Price: $3.99

Amy Butler AB021WT
Review by Ellenatlga on 4/29/08
Read Review

McCalls 6494 Pattern ( Size NBN-SML-MED-LRG )
McCalls 6494 Pattern ( Size NBN-SML-MED-LRG )

Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 5321 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12 )
McCalls 5321 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12 )

Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us