Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3250 (Men Shirts)

Reviewed by:lisaquilts

See other patterns in this category: Mens - Shirts    Mens

Anne Georges FabricTreasury

Fine Natural Fabrics

AnneM said... (5/23/05 10:25 AM) Reply
Love that fabric for your 2nd shirt. Thanks for this review. Celeste - thanks also for your comment. I will keep the fabric selection in mind. The RTW top DH has like this is a home-spun style fabric.
Celeste said... (5/21/05 8:49 PM) Reply
I made several shirts just like this back in the 70's using a very similar Simplicity pattern (the collar was cut with longer and bigger points, since this was the disco era) but both patterns are basically the same. You shouldn't have redrafted the slit in the neck opening in the front. It may not have seemed like the picture but with the collar turning over it opens the neck edge out very nicely. Also the fabric needs to have some body so as not to look like pajamas. The fabrics I used were seersuckers and a homespun-type weave. I bought this pattern since my husband loved those ol' shirts I made him back when. I want to get one of those tropical prints that have a little body, like the nice weight quilting cotton which should work nicely. Anyway, give it another try and use the existing draft for the neck opening and a little heavier body fabric. You can see from the picture that it is a loose fitting shirt in order to fit over the head since there is not front button opening.
AnneM said... (5/18/05 5:03 AM) Reply
Thanks for the sizing warning. Perhaps a stiffer interfacing might make the opening edges stay "straight" and not reveal as much chest. The Simplicity pattern mentioned in the comments seems to be OOP.
Mini said... (5/17/05 4:15 PM) Reply
I was also disappointed with this pattern. In addition to the collar problem, I just didn't think was especially well drafted. It is very oversized, so checking finished measurements is a good idea. The armholes the larger sizes are awfully low even for a tall guy. I have the Simplicity pattern mentioned by flowermama, and like it better. The finished shirt looks more like the picture, too.
Skymom said... (5/17/05 1:13 PM) Reply
This shirt looks great--maybe you should buy your husband a nice t-shirt to wear under it!
Cami said... (5/17/05 1:03 PM) Reply
Nice save on the shirt, too bad that DH was disappointed. Mary's idea sounds good. Another way to go would be to sew in a dickey. Very informative review. Don't give up.
flowermama said... (5/17/05 11:24 AM) Reply
Sorry you had trouble with this pattern but Mary's idea sounds great to perhaps make this wearable for DH. BTW I recently made Simiplicity 4922, an "It's so Easy"pattern for my DH which is similar to this KS pattern. It has a banded collar option that my DH prefers to to the spreading collar. Perhaps your DH would like type of collar also. In any case, please update - I may have to get this KS pattern too! :)
Hilary said... (5/17/05 10:56 AM) Reply
I agree, with Mary, I think some eyelets and some cording would be a great solution. It looks really good, and it would be well worth it to see if you can make it work. I hope you'll let us know what you decide!
Mary Stiefer said... (5/17/05 10:49 AM) Reply
I'm sorry you DH didn't like this. Perhaps another piece of fabric would work if you put some grommets on each side of the opening and closed it a bit with a piece of coordinating rawhide as a tie. I do appreciate your review and all the steps that you went through. Don't give up.

Marfy 9821