Pattern Reviews> Named Clothing> 03-007 (Tyler shirt)

Reviewed by:JNE4SL

More Info provided by JNE4SL

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Cotton - Quilting  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
A classic shirt with raglan cut sleeves. A small collar and round shoulders bring interest to a casual silhouette. You can also make a collarless version using the same pattern. You can simplify the model by making the sleeves cuffless and without vents. Choose a thinner, inelastic fabric - for example cotton or linen. You can also choose a translucent fabric.

Pattern Sizing:
34 - 44

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, very much so.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. There are some translation errors and minor difficulties but I must be getting used to Named because I hardly noticed this time out. All in all the construction order is straightforward and clear. (Instructions may have been updated since I made mine, I'm not certain.)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that it is a simple button front shirt but with some less common features: a raglan sleeve and a shoulder shaped by a seam down the arm. It is also very trim in cut and length, ideal if it's not going to be tucked.

Fabric Used: The body fabric is a quilting cotton purchased many years ago it does have a higher thread count than most. The trim is a black stretch cotton shirting. (I've also made it from chambray shirting and from a metallic flocked poly chiffon.)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The front band can be made by folding fabric in or by cutting a separate front which is what I did. It might have been better to cut the underside of the band from black as well as the under fabric peaks out at center front, but I kind of like the lighter fabric when the collar is open. I should add a hidden snap to the band at the bust level or possibly arrange the buttons differently in the future. It is very close fitting at the bust but a snap will hold it.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Absolutely. I love the cut and it fits perfectly, this will be my go to button front for a long time to come. I've made three versions so far.

Conclusion: I really like the trim cut of this shirt it isn't always the cut I'm looking for in a button-down but this is the ideal pattern when I am.

Update: I made these when the pattern first came out two years ago, but never published the review, oops. I've worn these quite a bit, but haven't made it again since.
cleverkitty said... (9/30/15 8:26 AM) Reply
Neat shirt style, thanks for posting!
judypin said... (9/30/15 3:09 AM) Reply
I like your collarless version a lot too. Glad to see you found a pattern you like.

by: HelenM01