Pattern Reviews> Threads Magazine> 0000 (Organza Shawl (CoverMay 05))

Reviewed by:petra

About petrastarstar
Member since: 6/20/03
Posted on:5/21/05 8:05 PM
Last Updated:12/31/06 8:32 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
Carolyndh said... (12/31/06 1:49 PM) Reply
Okay, you've convinced me to try this! I love the elongated scarf over the dark dress. What an elegant way to dress up the "little black dress" that many of us have.
sewbehind said... (12/31/06 1:30 PM) Reply
Very lovely. They are something special.
petra said... (12/31/06 12:21 PM) Reply
ok, new photos should be visible now. Not sure if silky poly would work, but a poly organza would. It needs some stiffness.
Elona said... (12/31/06 12:17 PM) Reply
What gorgeous work, and so many helpful tips, too! Unfortunately, I cannot see the newest picture, but I bet the scarf is no less beautiful than the others.
christine A said... (12/31/06 11:18 AM) Reply
I admired the threads magazine photo but thought it would be too difficult but now after reading your wonderful review I will definately have to try this. Do you think it will work with very silky poly?
Linda F said... (10/5/05 6:18 AM) Reply
Thank you for sharing this experience. What a beautiful scarf!!!
Ceri590 said... (10/5/05 6:16 AM) Reply
Wow! That is the kind of thing you see in boutiques for major dollars! I don't have a serger so I wonder if it would really look that good with just zig-zag?
Maychi said... (10/5/05 5:21 AM) Reply
Beautiful scarf! Great colour combination!
Sewphie said... (10/4/05 11:38 PM) Reply
What beautiful scarves you've made! Will have to try this myself. Thanks for sharing your info.
SarahL said... (10/4/05 11:11 PM) Reply
It's great to see your pictures of these scarves. It looked beautiful in the magazine, but the pretty photography had me convinced it wouldn't work so well in real life. Yours look great - and they look more like something I'd actually use than the ones in the magazine did. Thanks for doing this review!
Katharine in BXL said... (10/4/05 10:39 PM) Reply
Stunning! Wow! It looks *so* expensive--totally gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your project & tips!
Patti B said... (10/4/05 10:15 PM) Reply
jemgirlca said... (10/4/05 8:19 PM) Reply
Wow, I wish you were my friend... lol Your scarfs are gorgeous!!
SandraB said... (5/30/05 12:12 PM) Reply
Your scarf is absolutely gorgeous. Your hard work has certainly paid off.
Julia in NC said... (5/23/05 7:49 PM) Reply
your shawl is beautiful. I love your color combinations.
Teri said... (5/23/05 9:20 AM) Reply
Your shawl is just wonderful. I too have been mulling this over. I want to try the technique with sleeves.
alicia said... (5/23/05 5:55 AM) Reply
Thanks for the great tips on making this!!! I've been lusting after it too - have the organza and dyes waiting for a few empty hours. :)
Pattern Junkie said... (5/22/05 12:45 PM) Reply
Ooh, I've been lusting after this ever since I saw it on the Threads cover -- now I want it even more! It's gorgeous!
Tiner W said... (5/22/05 12:00 PM) Reply
It's just beautiful!
MickeyFan said... (5/22/05 10:16 AM) Reply
Awesome! Glad to see this project really does turn out as nicely as promised in the article. Thanks for this review
Gigi Louis said... (5/22/05 10:15 AM) Reply
Beautiful! I love your color combination.
Danvillegirl said... (5/22/05 9:44 AM) Reply
I just read this article in Threads. Glad to see your review. Lovely scarf. I looked at your other photos. Great projects you have made. I must have missed a few but remember seeing others. Lovely work.
Leslie in Austin said... (5/22/05 9:16 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. This has been on my to do list since I first saw the Threads cover. Thanks for your detailed review of the process!
AnneM said... (5/22/05 8:04 AM) Reply
Lovely scarf. Very nice.
petra said... (5/22/05 7:18 AM) Reply
Actually serging the organza was easier than I had thought - you have to practice with the negative feed setting and te manual stretch so that you get the right degree of ripple but it doesn't pull off the edge. I actually used a narrow hem with rayon embroidery thread top and bottom rather than a rolled edge as I found it worked better and looked nicer. You can also use strips of thin water soluble stabilizer on top if you are having a problem.
Deepika said... (5/22/05 5:58 AM) Reply
OMG what a pretty scarf. I was just reading the magazine and thinking I should make that. And after seeing yours I am convinced that this is a must sew!. Thanks!
KathleenS said... (5/22/05 4:58 AM) Reply
I also thought I must make this when I saw it on the cover of Threads, but I'm not as fast as you. Yours looks great and thanks for the helpful review.
els said... (5/22/05 4:30 AM) Reply
Gorgeous "threads" shawl, it is on my to do list too.Thanks for the review.
hongkongshopper said... (5/22/05 4:30 AM) Reply
Oh that is gorgeous! The colours are beautiful.
Carina said... (5/22/05 3:50 AM) Reply, I was mulling over this already! And what a beautiful colour combination! I'll definitely have to give this one a try. Nice Job Petra!
Sweeta said... (5/22/05 1:27 AM) Reply
so lovely, I am stunned!
annsew65 said... (5/22/05 0:12 AM) Reply
Petra, your scarf is Beautiful! What type of thread did you use for serging? It looks like it might be rayon. I love the shiny effect on the silk organza.
esmer said... (5/21/05 9:49 PM) Reply
I would have been to scared to try this one so hat's off to you! Your are brave and look at what wonderful result's. I just love your wrap. Isn't organza slippery and hard to work with? Nonetheless I am willing to give it a try now. Thanks for the incouragement.
jemgirlca said... (5/21/05 9:37 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I like yours better than the one in the magazine.
jlg said... (5/21/05 9:16 PM) Reply
Your shawl is gorgeous.
Marita Kinnula said... (5/21/05 9:14 PM) Reply
I love it!!!!
CarolynGM said... (5/21/05 8:39 PM) Reply
Great color combination. Beautifully done.
Modiste Madness said... (5/21/05 8:27 PM) Reply
The green was the perfect touch. It is beautiful.
Cami said... (5/21/05 8:25 PM) Reply
Very clever to serge seams in alternate directions. Very pretty colors. Thanks for the great review.
LisaLS said... (5/21/05 8:20 PM) Reply
So pretty!!! I liked the one on the Threads cover, but I like your colors a lot better!
BjP said... (5/21/05 8:15 PM) Reply
I wondered when someone would try this...and yours is absolutely awesome! I applaud you for taking the time to do the dye job - you ended up with beautiful colors!

by: Sarah Liz