Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8877 (Misses Top)

Reviewed by:KateS

About KateSstar
Member since: 3/28/06
Posted on:12/21/13 9:46 AM
Last Updated:12/21/13 10:55 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 8 people

Lookingpast said... (7/22/14 3:34 PM) Reply
I bought this pattern for the same reason you did and found your review to be very helpful. (The comments, too, BTW) I have the same problem with Houston summers as you have with Australian ones, so I will definitely use cottons and sheers. I'm curious if you found the neck opening too wide--it looks like it from the pictures on the envelope, but your version looks just fine. It really does look good on you.
KateS said... (12/24/13 9:01 AM) Reply
Thanks ladies this top is growing on me (not literally ha!) so I may try this pattern again. Unfortunately the silky synthetic blue/white fabric is very insulating so it wont get much wear out of it in the next few months (summer here in Australia). Olybinewski I'm not sure how the M, L, XL etc sizing works for me, I went one size under what they suggested after looking at the finished bust/waist measurement. There was only a cm or two difference between my bust and the finished garment bust so I'm not sure if another size down would have "accommodated" everything ;) Pattern sizing and in built ease are two factors I'm just starting to come to grips with.
TJSEWS said... (12/22/13 3:09 PM) Reply
I think the top looks rather cute on you. I especially like the yoke section. After all of the effort, I do hope you wear it often because it's lovely. The pattern may have given you a hard time but you persevered and now have a pretty top.
Danvillegirl said... (12/22/13 8:44 AM) Reply
It is a pretty top. Now that you made it hopefully you will decide to try again adjusting for the current fitting issues. It is lovely fabric combination.
debbieB said... (12/21/13 8:39 PM) Reply
I Like your choice of fabrics!
mmcp said... (12/21/13 8:29 PM) Reply
Really helpful review, whether you end up wearing it or not, it is really useful to know the difference between reality as we know it and the jacket illustration!
olybinewski said... (12/21/13 5:30 PM) Reply
I think you started with too large a size. I'm 5'6", 180lbs w/ 36DDD and I wear unaltered Mediums in Vogue (or size 18, which is smaller than what my measurements indicate on the envelope.)
KateS said... (12/21/13 10:52 AM) Reply
I agree - view B and C look very early 1990's IMHO- view A is what sold me!
KateS said... (12/21/13 10:51 AM) Reply
Carolynw I only brought this pattern recently, about two months ago. I think it might just be a case of misinterpreting the pattern illustration on my part. As you say some time away from it may help me to get a better perspective, it has happened before ! :)
carolynw said... (12/21/13 10:49 AM) Reply
Went back to your blog and my error - just didn't think the envelope would look like that
carolynw said... (12/21/13 10:34 AM) Reply
Reading your blog it seems you are using a much older pattern and I find it so facinating that the same top is now in the current line up! You will hear from a lot of others here that this top looks really nice - give it some time off and you may learn to love it

Burda 8157