Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3338 (Misses Tops)

Reviewed by:dvazz

Posted on:5/22/05 10:21 PM
Last Updated:5/22/05 10:21 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
CSY said... (5/23/05 11:43 PM) Reply
I have ripped out rippled necklines and cut the new binding a little bit smaller and saved the shirt. They can be redone. Sometimes it is trial and error. You can remove the binding and make a note on the pattern for remembering how much to use if using similiar fabric in the future. The binding can be done nicely with knits without lycra. It sometimes takes a little practice.
dvazz said... (5/23/05 12:27 PM) Reply
Thanks to those of you who left tips for my sloppy neckline! Yes, clear elastic is great stuff. At some point, I just resolved to only buy knits with good recovery, at least for fitted styles like this. This has been such a useful resolution that I kind of forgot to worry about the idiosyncrasies of "bad" knits! Now, of course, I can't bring myself to iron the neckline of a sleep tee in a bad color. I think a cotton lycra or ribknit would be best for this pattern in general because of the fit.
Hilary said... (5/23/05 8:52 AM) Reply
I am so glad to read your review! I just traced this off, altered and cut this out yesterday in a slighty cheap knit :o) to try it out. I can't wait to stitch it up, yours looks like a great fit, even in an un cooperative knit. About the neckline, I am sure you did it correctly; KS often binds necklines in this way. It looks fine usually as long as you trim away the excess inside well. If you have a cs machine (I wish I did!) you could finish it with that and it'd look great, I bet. Anyway, great review, thanks for posting! Show us your new version too! Btw, try giving the neckline a good steam, that could help a little with the waviness.
AnneM said... (5/23/05 7:41 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. Post a pic of your "good" version as well! This sounds like a good pattern. I agree on the hem; I don't know why you would want to do one that narrow w/ a knit
CarolynGM said... (5/23/05 6:38 AM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this as I recently bought the pattern. The fit looks good. I can't wait to make mine.
alicia said... (5/23/05 5:37 AM) Reply
Thanks for the thorough review! Have you checked out the "Using Clear Elastic to Stablize Necklines (Tip/Technique)" in the Tips? It solved my gaposis/wavy knit issues with necklines & armholes (and crowded the fabric while doing the hems, to prevent stretching.)
Cambric Tea said... (5/22/05 11:30 PM) Reply
Ah! Very helpful. Very good news, too. I'm glad that KS is updating, I like that company but was getting really frustrated with the amount of ease in the arms and above bust.

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket