|Pattern Description: Mens'/boys' pants and shirt pattern. I made the men's pants|
Pattern Sizing:S-XL; I used the men's large. It's really hard to fit him, but we figured the size L would be a good place to start because of the waist.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Um, no. Beyond the fact that the guy on there looks nothing like my short and sweet hubby, the pants on the pattern look professional, if a bit mediocre. Mine look weird, unflattering and odd. As others posted, though, it's hard to find good mens' pants patterns, so I wanted to give this one a try.
Were the instructions easy to follow? For the most part, except (as others have said) for the waistband. That was ridiculous. I don't know what went wrong; the fly went in pretty easily but the waistband was obscenely hard. It didn't match up (the seams on the waistband with the seams in the pants) and I don't *think* that's my fault. Also, the button is on the inside (facing inside from the outside left fly front, if that makes sense) but you can only tell if you look at the drawings.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked that it was a pattern for men's pants. I hated the waistband, though. The legs are really, really big on him (although he says they're comfy) and the waist, while curved (which is a nice touch), is tight. Again, that is probably just the way he is built, but it's not even a flattering big leg thing. It just sort of hangs on him.
The belt loops are also somewhat weird. You sew the large patch pockets (which are lined; I think this might be overkill, as it makes them bulky and heavy) onto the pants and the very top of the pockets creates a belt loop on either side. You also sew on two belt loops to the back. However, once you sew the facing for the waistband onto the pants, the belt loops become so short that they are basically unusable unless the man in your life likes using a rope for a belt. This would be easy to fix, but I just don't like the look, and he isn't all that impressed either.
Also, for some bizarre reason I couldn't get my buttonhole to work well with the zipper. They're pretty much on top of each other. He has to button up the button and then zip them up (and reverse the process to get out). I actually put the button on the bottom facing out and the buttonhole on the top (left) like in regular pants because I couldn't get it to fit the other way. I will say that I liked the idea of putting some fusible interfacing under where the button (I think? or the buttonhole) would go; that is usually not in patterns.
The fly front itself wasn't all that difficult, but the waistband instructions for the front made me feel like I was undergoing some mind experiment. I simply couldn't figure them out. On top of that, the facings just didn't line up properly; I had to do a lot of finagling to get them to "work". I was quite grumpy when I finished these. I'd be happier if they looked good on him, but they don't. That could be his build, but I just don't see the point of trying this pattern again.
Fabric Used: It's an odd fleece-backed polyester of some sort. I believe my dad had a pair out of fabric that looked like this (at least from the outside) in the early 80's. They're quite unflattering but very warm. He looks like a well-dressed hobo, but he says they're really cozy.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did a lot of wacky things to the front and waistband to get it to fit together properly. Other than that, I simply did what I could to make it all work. I'll post photos when he has them on next.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I doubt it. I do like the curved waistband - it's nicer than a straight waistband - but they are just not very flattering. I found myself shouting at the pattern at one point because it just didn't make any sense.
I wouldn't recommend this pattern without significant alteration; a muslin of the waistband is highly recommended. It's just frustrating because I really wanted to make him another pair of pants. (I had last made him the Burda pattern I reviewed on here; the pants legs on those are ridiculously wide, but in a much more fashionable way.) These just look…schlumpy, if you can imagine what that would be.
Conclusion: Mediocre pattern that would need a lot of redoing. I will probably just donate it. I have other shirt patterns (he doesn't really like that style of shirt anyway) and there are so many pattern tissue papers in there that unfolding them all to get to the shirt doesn't seem worth it. The fabric I chose isn't very easy to work with because it is quite thick. I should have read the reviews on here first, but I would have probably gone ahead and tried them anyway. Live and learn, I guess.