Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6101 (Children's/Girls'/Misses' Pull-On Skirt and Petticoat)

Reviewed by:Sethskid

About Sethskid
MD USA
Member since: 9/26/13
Posted on:1/2/14 11:25 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes    Skirts
Sethskid said... (1/4/14 12:22 PM) Reply
Thank you so much everyone! Oh FranE! I would love to see that picture!!
FranE said... (1/4/14 10:19 AM) Reply
The skirt is adorable. Thanks for reminding me of them and the petticoats. I have a picture of me, somewhere, wearing one of these when I was about 12 yrs old. My Mother had made it as she did most of my clothes.
Pj3g said... (1/3/14 4:59 PM) Reply
Very cute skirt! You did a great job!
Sethskid said... (1/3/14 8:50 AM) Reply
Thank you ceedee! I don't know if poodle skirts are coming back but the 50's style is definitely popular right now. I made this skirt for my husband's aunt. She & her husband like to go to antique car shows & dress the part :-)
ceedee said... (1/3/14 8:23 AM) Reply
Adorable and your poodle came out terrific! Really, are poodle skirts coming back? I need to spend more time looking at pattern/fashion websites. I, too, vaguely remember musical notes. Fun skirt!
Sethskid said... (1/3/14 7:18 AM) Reply
I didn't exactly do an historical search. I did go searching for pictures before I decided on this pattern. I was there in the 50's but I was pretty young. I have two older brothers & I remember their girlfriends wearing the poodle skirts. I don't remember anyone ever having a guitar or a cat like the pattern cover shows. I do remember records & music notes however. I have seen in my search, the Eiffel Tower on a circle skirt along with a poodle (French of couse!). This poodle is made with satin and a little fake fur. Thanks for the comments! Happy New Year to you!
sewingcanary said... (1/3/14 6:37 AM) Reply
The Poodle Skirt has returned! Wondering if you did an historical search. I always wondered why these skirts either had a poodle or nothing. I don’t think they ever had any other designs on them. And the poodles always looked corny – like a cartoon character or something. I think the poodles were often made with felt or curly fabric similar to boiled wool. They wore them with white bobby socks, usually folded down once. I think they’d be called crew sox now. The wedding dress was a cool idea. Happy New year.

by: Quickie