Online Sewing Class: Beyond the BoatNeck

Pattern Reviews> Petite Plus Patterns> Basic Shell Blouse (101 Basic shell blouse)

Reviewed by:Learn To Sew

About Learn To Sewstar
Member since: 4/12/05
Posted on:5/24/05 11:57 AM
Last Updated:2/1/06 3:01 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
sideseams said... (2/1/06 5:02 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I have been thinking about purchasing this pattern and now I know what to expect.
Learn To Sew said... (2/1/06 3:42 PM) Reply
Mini, One of the alterations I will need to make next time is shoulder darts. I might consider the back seam instead of the keyhole. That seems so out of date to me.
Mini said... (12/28/05 11:50 PM) Reply
This is a nice pattern, but it does have a problem due to the total lack of back shaping. I think that adding a center back seam, and/or back shoulder darts will make it fit more comfortably and solve the problem of the neckline not sitting correctly. A center back seam can also eliminate the need for a faced keyhole opening. Just make a wide seam allowance, and leave the center back seam open enough to pull over the head easily. For a neater finish, the center back seam allowance can be topstitched around the opening. Less bulk, and much easier than the faced opening.
Peggy L said... (12/28/05 3:36 PM) Reply
I'm glad you like this pattern and are getting the fit to suit you perfectly. I know you have struggled with this but what a great tried and true pattern to have. Good review.
Danvillegirl said... (5/26/05 7:59 PM) Reply
Glad to see your review. I just purchased the pattern and plan to sew it up this weekend.
Learn To Sew said... (5/26/05 11:23 AM) Reply
I have been talking to others who have made this pattern. Julie from Timmel Fabrics recommens making it up in a lovely, high quality knit, in a size smaller than if you made it in a knit. She says it makes up so nicely, you will make the pattern over and over and over.
Doris Stewart said... (5/24/05 2:03 PM) Reply
I have this at the top of my 'to do' pile - thanks for the review.
Irene Q said... (5/24/05 12:53 PM) Reply
Congratulations on your first review! Let us know how the next one turns out.
SouthernStitch said... (5/24/05 12:15 PM) Reply
I have a Burda shell with that type of facing - and I love it too! Good luck with your next one - oh and good review, I found it helpful.

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2013-126

by: Julietta82

Sewing Workshop Origami Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Origami Skirt Pattern

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

by: VintageMai...