Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Simplicity: 1543 (Misses' Tunic & Knit Pants by Patty Reed) thumbsup - Type:Tops    printable version
Viewed 162 times 4 more reviews

Fabric:Polyester Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Related Links
Click on to add a link
Pattern Description:

Misses' Tunic & Knit Pants by Patty Reed. Misses' loose fit tunic with ruched sleeve & front pockets

Pattern Sizing:

XXS to XXL I made a Large

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, very much I think.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Pretty easy. I was confused about the pocket markings, and couldn't really decide if I wanted pockets anyway. I cut the pockets and I may add them at some future time if I need the extra storage... For sure, if I use a non-print next time, I know that the pockets will add an important design feature.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I liked almost everything about this pattern. I liked the look and length in the previous 3 reviews. This pattern also seems to run a tad big which worked for me. I wear an XLarge but I had to cut the Large because I was determined to match up the front/back fabric repeat markings.

Fabric Used:

A Poly-knit, reptile/snake print from EOS. It's wild and crazy but it actually feels like a cool heavy silk when worn. The challenge for me with animal print, is to avoid the "tacky middle aged lady trying too hard" look. So, here I am... with Polyester Knit, Snake Print, AND Ruching. Individually, any of those features might be a ticket to Tacky Town... Together, I was surely going to create a fashion abomination. But I ignored all that - The fabric spoke to me and said "make me into a polyester, reptile tunic with ruched sleeves", so I just went with it.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Took note of Nenewhis' neckline adjustment and went with that change (muchas gracias !!!). I also didn't bother with the top-stitching around the neckline. My pattern was just so heavily printed that the top stitching and texture would have been lost on there (I just tacked down the facing at the shoulder seams). I cut a size smaller than I should have, and that worked out just fine too - lots and lots of ease. I didn't top stitch down the side seams either. I just serged them to the point of the side slit.

Would you sew it again?

Would you recommend it to others? I think I will sew it again (perhaps lower the print volume). It hides my tummy and it has a long silhouette that makes me feel taller. As for my print... I think it lands on the right side of the tracks... but only because this fabric is EOS. It just drapes so well and it's very well printed.

Conclusion:

In a high quality fabric (dressed up with leggings and boots), this top can go out for a casual dinner and cocktails. In a more discount fabric, this top is still going to be great for running around every day. It floats away from the body and is very flattering. The pattern is easy for a beginner (or someone re-learning like me) and it sews up fast.

I may go with a more conservative fabric next time, but I still love my freaky python tunic. I recommend this pattern !
Buy this pattern for $17.95     Add to Bag Add to Bag

thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
prttynpnk said...
I love this!!! Care to be in the Jungle January style parade? We could use a little python.....
1/4/14 1:37 PM
Nenewhis said...
Ha, I am glad I ran across your review today, you made my day! I think your fabric selection is fabulous, I just love the print and it looks as though you did a wonderful job at matching the pattern on the side seams! Isn't this pattern a gem!
1/4/14 7:45 PM
swirlgurl said...
Looks great on you! well done!
1/5/14 9:33 AM
sassykat said...
Thanks for the review. I was looking at this pattern and was not sure about it but I think I will give it a try. It looks great on you and I love the fabric choice.
1/7/14 6:37 PM

Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket
Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Seashore Sundress Digital Pattern ( Size 5-12 )
Oliver + S Seashore Sundress Digital Pattern ( Size 5-12 )

Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Bathing Beauty Swim Cap Digital Pattern ( Size infant- toddler- child )

Price: $4.99

Simplicity 2414 Misses Skirt
Review by PAMomof3 on 6/17/12
Read Review

Kwik Sew 3600 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3600 Pattern

Price: $11.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1286 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Vogue 1286 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us