Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 03-2013-107 (Cardigan)

Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

BurdaStyle Magazine: 03-2013-107 by Elizabeth made this
Pattern Photo:

Pattern Info provided by Elizabeth made this

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Fabric:Pique  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: SLIM fitting v neck knit cardigan with gathered CFs into a band

Pattern Sizing:34-42

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Were the instructions easy to follow?yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?It's really hard to dislike a cardigan, particularly a fitted cardigan. I've seen the gathered CF in RTW cardigans (nay, I have one), but this gathering is gentle, not too much, and doesn't bag out weirdly at the bust like it does on some of the same RTW equivalents.

Fabric Used:an unusual cotton/poly knit from Needle Nook Fabrics in Wichita...sort of pique texture, sort of french terry on the reverse side, but with a floral pattern throughout. It is lightweight yet warm, stable, and not sheer as is the case with 98% of white knits.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:At first glance, the pattern pieces looked quite slim in the waist and hips. When I checked it against my TNT t-shirt, I confirmed this. The modeled photos have the girls wearing this alone, but I know I will always consider this an outer garment, so I needed the extra ease.

I can only think that this pattern is meant for fabric with a considerable amount of stretch going around the body--certainly more than this particular knit had.

So I placed my t-shirt pattern over this one, aligning at the armscye seam line and kept the style lines for the cardigan and the side seams from my t-shirt. Easy fix.

Also, the top buttonhole as marked is quite low--below my bustline on me. On this version, I fixed that by adding another buttonhole above the top one, using 6 buttons instead of 5. On further iterations of this top, I might just make it, put the hole where I want it and mark the others after that.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Yes. I have a lovely EOS wool knit that is waiting for me to pay some special attention to it.

If you're making it, you will need to check the specific stretch of your knit so that it doesn't end up too small or go up a size in the waist and hips.

Conclusion: love it. Will wear this forever. More on my blog.
Elizabeth Made This: Unusual knits and wardrobe workhorses

msschiel said... (4/6/15 7:15 PM) Reply
Beautiful!!!
liliv said... (4/6/15 6:57 PM) Reply
It looks very feminine!
Lori V said... (1/11/14 8:38 AM) Reply
This is really cute cardigan. I like how you styled it and the fabric.
LBH2010 said... (1/10/14 8:04 PM) Reply
This is very cute!
Levone said... (1/10/14 8:00 PM) Reply
Lovely cardigan!
Dee2 said... (1/10/14 1:27 PM) Reply
I love your version of this pattern! The fabric looks very pretty & I think the changes you made resulted in a very cute cardi.
MrsCharisma said... (1/10/14 10:32 AM) Reply
This issue was the first Burda magazine I purchased and this cardigan was part of the reason why. I love it. The gathering at the bust is really cute too.
MelissaB in WA said... (1/10/14 9:39 AM) Reply