Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Wool Woven  [See other projects in this fabric]
Related Links
Click on to add a link
I am on a quest to make highly effective trousers. I teach small children, and I like to wear military cargo trousers. I thought the pants part of this outfit pattern set might fit the bill.
I really like that the pattern is printed on nice stiff white paper not that different from what you might put in your printer. None of this awful tissue-y stuff for me!
I am not certain why pattern places only one cargo pocket on the legs. It's no problem to double this and put one on the other leg. Perhaps the pattern is reiterating a historical precedent. It seems to be based on aspects of "battle dress" issued to British troops in WWII [which is part of its attraction for me].
The instructions for the welted hip pockets just seem totally cattywumpus to me. I used the method I learned from a Kwik Sew pattern.
The cut of the flaps on hip pockets and cargo pocket[s] is attractive, practical, and the 2 match to each other. The pocket placement and size is good, though oddly the user is directed to make the pockets on the women's version smaller.
The pattern says it is _sized_ but not tailored for women or for men. It's cut for men.
The cut is baggy in the legs. That's fine. It is also very generous in the crotch. This is good for moving around-- the fabric does not pull when you squat, but counter-intuitively, the low crotch feels like it can be restrictive at times. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. The loos crotch is not totally excessive, but it might snag on a bicycle saddle at times.
The button fly is straightforward in construction and clean in appearance.
The weird double buckle affair used to close the waist when worn is disgusting. Dang! What do they think I have in there that has to be so tightly strapped down!! I changed to 2 buttons, one over the other, in front, and a single button fastening the end of the outer belt down. The inner belt I did away with completely. Still, when I need to use the restroom quickly during recess, the extra button on the belt is not my favourite. I might remove it.
If I recall correctly, the pattern does not have belt loops. I added them because I was raised never to go out without a belt.
The pants seem to be intended to fit around the belly just below the navel. I usually want to wear them a little lower. This might be part of the baggy crotch effect.
thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
NVK said...
Thank you for a well written review. My husband likes cargo pants and this seems like a great choice. I like your description of how the pants fit and feel.
1/12/14 9:53 AM
Wianno Girl said...
Those pants are awesome - very thorough review on all the little decisions we make when sewing and customizing a garment.
1/12/14 12:59 PM

SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern
SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern

Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

MariaDenmark Audrey Dress Digital Pattern ( Sized For B-Cup Bust )
MariaDenmark Audrey Dress Digital Pattern ( Sized For B-Cup Bust )

Price: $9.95

Megan Nielsen Eucalypt Tank & Dress Digital Pattern
Megan Nielsen Eucalypt Tank & Dress Digital Pattern

Price: $12.00

Kwik Sew 3617
Review by Nujoi1908 on 1/31/10
Read Review

Simplicity 2058 Pattern ( Size 10-12-14-16-18 )
Simplicity 2058 Pattern ( Size 10-12-14-16-18 )

Price: $16.95

Kwik Sew 3699 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3699 Pattern

Price: $11.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us