Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

returns & refunds
testimonials
Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
Vogue Patterns: 8961 (Misses' Tunic, Dress and Pants) - Type:Dresses    printable version
Viewed 245 times 2 more reviews

Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Silk Charmeuse  [See other projects in this fabric]
Related Links
Click on to add a link
Pattern Description: Very Easy Vogue tunic, dress and pant pattern. Pullover blouson dress and tunic have elastic waist and narrow hem. I made the blouson dress view B.

Pattern Sizing: 8-10-12-14-16. I made the 14 according to the pattern measurements comparing to my measurements and it came out HUGE!

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It looks much more form fitting and flattering on the illustration on pattern envelope.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, they are very easy to follow. It only took a few hours to make this simple style.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the idea of an easy, pull on blouson dress, but I dislike how enormous and unflattering it turned out. Everywhere is huge, including the large and wide neckline.

Fabric Used: A beautiful silk charmeuse that I am dissapointed that I used and didn't make a muslin first. I hope that I can salvage this dress or use the fabric in some other way as I feel that I wasted my nice silk! Stupid Me!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I didn't do the rouching in the sleeve, and I made french seams for the side and sleeve seams.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Nope, I will not be sewing this again and I don't recommend it, unless you are looking to make a big old blob dress.

I might go back and try to take it in or something as I really like the idea of this style. But for now, I will not be wearing this sack dress in public. Sorry.

Conclusion: Not happy about this pattern. Maybe others will have better luck with it. I would recommend making a muslin first to check for fit and if you want to bother with sewing it. Maybe the tunic and pant have a better fit, but the dress just did NOT work for me. Boo!

Buy this pattern for $25.00     Add to Bag Add to Bag

thumbsup Pattern with more than 5 reviews!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Nenewhis said...
I am sorry this didn't work out for you. Believe me, I have been there! So disappointing after the time you put into it, perhaps you can refashion it into something else. Put it away, have a nice cocktail and don't think about it for a day or 2.
1/16/14 12:13 PM
CissieW said...
So sorry that you weren't happy -- especially after using such special fabric. But I'll bet you can use this and end up with a winner, which you almost always do!
1/16/14 1:02 PM
Sew Good said...
If there is no way of taking in the side seams to make it smaller, why not wear it as a nightgown? I love the feel of silk. Luxury while sleeping. I know it was expensive fabric and re-purposing is one option, but wearing as a nightgown may also make you happy
1/16/14 3:25 PM
SewWil said...
Don't beat yourself up. We're all been there. I'm sure you will find a way to salvage this dress/fabric. Thanks for the review.
1/16/14 8:29 PM
VivianZ said...
I am sorry it didn't fit, but I bet if you took the time to take the waist out, you could alter it easily. Just unstitch the waist elastic area on each side and take the dress in, then take the waist casing in take up the elastic and reattach the casing.
1/17/14 7:51 AM

Sis Boom Shana Tunic Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Shana Tunic Digital Pattern

Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simple Things The Flight Cap Digital Pattern (004)
Simple Things The Flight Cap Digital Pattern (004)

Price: $7.95

Simplicity 2922 Project Runway
Review by Meggie LuL... on 5/28/08
Read Review

Vogue 1403 Pattern ( Size )
Vogue 1403 Pattern ( Size  )

Price: $32.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1773 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Simplicity 1773 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us