Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2803 (Strapless Wedding Gown)

Reviewed by:Georgene

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 36 people
emmynz said... (12/7/07 3:32 PM) Reply
Really helpful info!
OP Gal said... (9/20/06 1:35 PM) Reply
I just saw this review as it came up on the side panel when I was reading another review. This dress is astonishing. Your techniques are truly couture. Your comment that it was made of Duchess satin, which I think used to be called peau de soie, reminded me that my loving aunt made my wedding dress back in the '60's. It was a simple Jackie Kennedy-looking thing, but it was silk organza over peau de soie. I really didn't appreciate until now what a feat she accomplished, sewing with that fabric. Thanks for bringing back such fond memories of my aunt...and such a wonderful review.
memmy said... (7/24/06 0:49 AM) Reply
what an act of pure love
Melody said... (6/6/05 10:24 PM) Reply
It is absolutely magnificent. I am in awe. You should be so proud of yourself.
Vicky C said... (6/5/05 6:45 PM) Reply
It is just magnificant! I am truly in awe. You are one talented lady and a wonderful friend to the bride.
joann said... (6/5/05 6:12 PM) Reply
I haven't been online for awhile and the first thing I wanted to see was your review. How spectacular! I am so glad you are upgrading yourself - you are a sewist extraordinaire. Congratulations!
JoleneF said... (6/5/05 10:51 AM) Reply
This dress is stunning. I was following this thread even though I knew I had nothing to add for help. I missed the review until today. You did such a beautiful job!!!!
woody said... (6/5/05 8:53 AM) Reply
Georgene, the dress is absolutely spectacular
Georgene said... (6/3/05 11:20 PM) Reply
The wedding is in July in St. Petersburg Russia. The bride has returned to Russia with her gown in a plastic underbed storage bin packed inside a laydown wardrobe box that was big enough to stuff the shoes, corset foundation, and crinoline into as well. Everyone is thrilled and I have given instructions for photos to be taken especially for me with close-ups and details. Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. I couldn't have done it without the support here at PR!
MaryBeth said... (6/3/05 8:51 PM) Reply
I'm still learning new things to appreciate everytime I read this review and open the pictures. When is the wedding? Have you heard from the bride?
mamafitz said... (6/3/05 9:48 AM) Reply
georgene, this gown is just lovely. you did a fantastic job. i just love this kind of sewing, it's my favorite type to do. anyone who will be making a traditional wedding gown should refer back to this review. good for you for upgrading yourself!
cindyann said... (6/2/05 5:25 PM) Reply
Georgene, That dress is just fabulous. I've been off line for days now and just noticed your review. Thank you for sharing the details of your couture craftmanship. It's truly a work of art!!
SouthernStitch said... (5/31/05 10:18 PM) Reply
I'm speechless. I mean, well, just "what everyone else said" will have to do! I showed my DD who scoffs at my idea of someday making her prom dress. Wedding dress is out of the question. Of course she now wants to come to New York and have YOU do it!! :)
Lee Ann Hawkins said... (5/31/05 8:31 PM) Reply
I think you should sneak it into the current show of Chanel at the Met., in it's own glass case once the wedding is thru!
sweet petite said... (5/31/05 7:41 PM) Reply
What a gorgous gown and a charming story, as well as a really instructive and helpful review. I'm printing it out right now for reference. Thanks!!!
gabrielle said... (5/30/05 9:20 PM) Reply
It's just beautiful,and thank you for sharing the journey. It's amazing to see something so light and graceful yet with such wonderful structure. I think this is what dress-making must be all about. Thanks again, it's lovely.
lilhoney57 said... (5/30/05 10:42 AM) Reply
Its just beautiful!!
Peggy L said... (5/30/05 9:49 AM) Reply
This is absolutely stunning! Thank you for all the details and pictures.
Asa Hagstrom said... (5/30/05 5:11 AM) Reply
Georgene, your dress is fantastic! What an inspiration to us all. You must be so relieved that it's finished! Thank you for sharing so many details with us.
candyo said... (5/29/05 11:33 PM) Reply
Wow, I am green with envy! You are so talented, and patient!! This bride must be a wonderful person for you to put all that work into her gown. I hope you can show us more pictures when the wedding takes place. Thank you for all the details, too!!
Sew it seams said... (5/29/05 10:26 PM) Reply
BRAVO,BRAVO,BRAVO!!! I am printing every photo and detail. Wonderful!!
Danvillegirl said... (5/29/05 6:19 PM) Reply
Just beautiful! She is a lovely bride.
Jennifer shaw said... (5/29/05 4:01 PM) Reply
What an astonishing review and an elegant couture gown!! Incredible, Georgene!!!! You have earned the title - la maitre de couture!!!
Katharine in BXL said... (5/29/05 11:42 AM) Reply
A sewing milestone you've done, Georgene. I'm speechless.
keric said... (5/29/05 11:40 AM) Reply
Thanks for the added photos! This dress is absolutely exquisite, and I can only hope to sew this well one day. I also think it's incredible that you kept your promise made to a little girl, 12 years ago! Very admirable! Again, beautiful dress! You made one bride very happy, I'm sure!
alicia said... (5/29/05 10:02 AM) Reply
This is stunning, a beautiful fit - quite the eye turner. I agree with previous comments - this is jaw-dropping. Congratulations on an incredible garment, your work has paid off!! Lucky bride!!
AnneM said... (5/29/05 9:11 AM) Reply
Lovely. I've been looking forward to seeing these pictures. Your friend looks lovely in the gown. And yes, you should have your level as expert/couture, which afterall is often hand sewing.
Maychi said... (5/29/05 9:04 AM) Reply
Wow, you made a gorgeous wedding gown! It truly is a work of art! Stunning!
Gigi Louis said... (5/29/05 8:33 AM) Reply
Georgene, it's breathtaking! Just the thought of making a wedding gown makes me weak in the knees. :-O
Kathryn said... (5/29/05 8:15 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress, Georgene! The bride must be a special girl in your life, for you to have devoted such loving care to every single step in the construction. It is breathtaking! Thank you so much for sharing the construction steps and pictures as well. I feel as though I've been to "bridal gown school" this morning, thanks to you! I hope you had a marvelous time at the wedding--you deserve it!
Tailypo said... (5/29/05 8:02 AM) Reply
Fantastic!!! And next time I'm tempted to skip pressing a seam on a Very Easy pattern because it is 'too much work'... I will think of this project, which is proof that each extra little step is well worth it! Brava!
Lisa Laree said... (5/29/05 6:28 AM) Reply
Thank goodness you upgraded your rating! Like PVA, I would have to havd knocked myself down at least 2 notches if you didn't. :) This is breathtaking, inspired and inspiring work; thanks so much for sharing it with us (and thanks to the bride for letting us see it on her! )
Liane M said... (5/29/05 4:47 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous. You are an expert. What a luck bride!
PegL said... (5/29/05 4:21 AM) Reply
This is an absolutely stunning creation! I'm in awe of all the details! What an accomplishment! Kudos on a gorgeous gown and congratulations on your 100th review -- which is an incredibly interesting read!
Mlle Laura said... (5/29/05 4:19 AM) Reply
Je suis bouche bée, emerveillée. Your work is truly wonderful! Thank you fo sharing this with us, you are a real inspiration!
hongkongshopper said... (5/29/05 3:59 AM) Reply
I think this is the most beautiful wedding dress I have ever seen!!!
Allisonsews said... (5/29/05 0:28 AM) Reply
I aspire to have this kind of skill and talent! Thanks for the great review.
Marita Kinnula said... (5/29/05 0:06 AM) Reply
A very beautiful gown and a very imformative review.Gongrats, you really are an expert!!
kathi s said... (5/29/05 0:02 AM) Reply
Wow! Soo lovely- I am awestruck with admiration at your accomplishment!
MaryBeth said... (5/28/05 11:14 PM) Reply
Thanks for the extra photos. It truly is a work of art, distinctively, with your style written all over it. I'm sorry I couldn't come work on it, too.
Irene said... (5/28/05 10:17 PM) Reply
Incredible dress. Faithful friend. Lucky bride. A perfect 100th review milestone marker!
PhyllisC said... (5/28/05 8:28 PM) Reply
The look of glee on your face - I know that feeling! (sort of "it's-done-Hallelujah-I-pulled-it-off-I-can-breath-now")....it's *everything* I knew it would be Georgene.
SewVeryTall said... (5/28/05 7:43 PM) Reply
Very Beautiful Gown, and how perfect for your 100th review! We just want more more more photos :) You deserve a relaxing vacation now!
Nancy Anne said... (5/28/05 6:52 PM) Reply
It turned out beyond stunning, Georgene! You never mentioned how your bride liked it- I assumed she was thrilled?
drsue said... (5/28/05 6:25 PM) Reply
Wow!!!!! An amazing work of art.
ryan's mom said... (5/28/05 6:02 PM) Reply
This is absolutely beautiful! I loved reading your review on the progression of this gown. What skills you have! I am in awe.
flowermama said... (5/28/05 5:53 PM) Reply
Beautiful, beautiful! I've enjoyed lurking on the thread and have been anticipating your review. Can't wait to see more pics. Georgene, this dress is a magnificent accomplishment and your increased skill rating is appropriate to your abilities.
annsew65 said... (5/28/05 5:28 PM) Reply
Georgene, the dress is absolutely GORGEOUS! What a dear friend you are to the bride! You are definitely Expert/Couture! Can't wait to see more pictures!
PVA said... (5/28/05 5:25 PM) Reply
Ye gads, I had/have myself rated as intermediate -- If you hadn't changed yours to Expert/Couture I'd have to go in & change mine to, I guess, advanced beginner. Thank heavens you changed yours before I had to change mine! The dress is absolutely jaw-dropping stunning! I love all the construction details & photos. Thanks so much for the review & I too *Really* want more pix after the wedding! (Please, please, please -- I will so enjoy seeing more pix of the finished gown!
GorgeousFabrics said... (5/28/05 5:24 PM) Reply
Wooo hooo!!!! Cheers and standing ovations, and a well deserved expert/couture rating, I might add. Bravo!!!!!!!!! -Ann
CarolynGM said... (5/28/05 5:20 PM) Reply
What an accomplishment this gown is. Your skills and taste are evident in every detail. The dress looks just perfect on the bride who looks very happy to be wearing it.
Linda E. said... (5/28/05 4:41 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful. You definely a Expert/Couture. Your review is very well done.
LisaLS said... (5/28/05 4:30 PM) Reply
Sooo pretty! Thanks for all the detailed info on the construction. You put so much work into this gown and it was all worth it!
Cornelia said... (5/28/05 4:15 PM) Reply
How wonderful! This qualifies as a Magnum Opus. that makes you a Master Sewist. (Somehow Mistress Sewist doesn't quite do it.) I'm sure we'll all just pour over the upcoming pictures for inspiration. INTERMEDIATE, MY AUNT MINNIE! EXPERT-COUTURE, now that's better.
Georgene said... (5/28/05 4:09 PM) Reply
Changing my level to "Expert-Couture" but not because I am advanced in sewing! I am advanced in patternmaking and draping, my friends. I ask lots of questions right here at PR where there are many who sew better than me. That said, most of what you see in this dress is hand sewing. "Hand sewing is your friend" is on of the tips listed here on PR, and I couldn't have made this without lots and lots of it.
Elona said... (5/28/05 4:02 PM) Reply
What a lovely gown, Georgene, just unbelievable! Have you really classified yourself as intermediate??? Good grief, woman--upgrade! You're entitled. This dress is a stunner.
Tini said... (5/28/05 3:55 PM) Reply
Georgene, this is sooo gorgeous! You are really an advanced sewer! I love the lacing and the back view of the gown, that makes it real special. I'm so glad, that all the ladies, whom I offered to sew a gown, have found one in the shops ;) I really love the idea of an inner corselet! Great work!
els said... (5/28/05 3:50 PM) Reply
Georgene the perfect wedding dress you made for your friend is so beautiful, she looks gorgeous and very happy. This is a real couture dress which shows your skills. I am amazed with the inner corselet it looks so beautiful and airy and at the same time it will act as a firm corselet. Deep bow. Congratulations on your 100e review. I agree with Debbie you should change your profile to advanced.
MaryBeth said... (5/28/05 3:36 PM) Reply
Ah, how beautiful it turned out, G! You surely have been put through your paces. I'm glad you had Aunties, Mother and Grandmother to help finish up. I also hope you enjoyed this project and the ending of this project. You have the right to be very very proud! The inner corselet fabric is stunning as is every other detail I can possibly glean from the photos. Eagerly awaiting additional pics!
Debbie Cook said... (5/28/05 3:18 PM) Reply
Absolutely devine!! Such lovely details and style. I love the lace-up back. Unexpected and ultra feminine! G -- you are ADVANCED, not intermediate. :)

Simplicity OOP 3841