Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 1814 (Toddler's & Child's Dresses )

Reviewed by:shanntarra

Simplicity: 1814 by shanntarra Simplicity: 1814 by shanntarra
Pattern Photo:Simplicity 1814
Simplicity Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Difficult, but great for Advanced Sewers
See other patterns in this category: Toddlers
Fabric:Taffeta  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Toddler's & Child's dress in two lengths with bodice and trim variations. Project Runway Collection.

Pattern Sizing: size 1/2-8 , made size 3

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It came out exactly like the pattern picture showed it to be. I made view A.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were easy to follow except on the sleeves. The sleeves are the tricky part of this pattern. Unless you have marked where the tucks are suppose to be, and have sewn them correctly with the tucks the way you want them on both sides, you WILL get confused. One good thing I will say is the directions on how to do a lapped zipper for the center back were well done. I don't do them often and the directions had good illustrations, and step by step instructions on what you will need to do.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Like: That it isn't your normal little girl's dress pattern. The sleeves are shaped not with gathering that makes them poofy, and the edges don't have elastic in them. The sleeves are actually made from two pieces, with tucks to shape the cap of the sleeve.
Also I like the fact that the pattern is a "choose your own". If you want the sash at the waist, you can do that. If you want bows, the option is there, if you want a decorative strip at the hem, it is there. You can make it fancy or everyday just depending on how you want to take it.
Dislike: The directions for the tulle overlay were a little confusing, and I didn't like what they had me do. The over lay is actually 3 layers of 3 panels of tulle sewn together. The directions say each layer is constructed by just over laping the side seams 5/8" and sewing them together. To me, that just seems sloppy. You can really see it but, it just doesn't seem right to me. I would recommend doing a 1/4" seam to sew the sides together. Once all 3 panels are made, baste them together and treat them all as one piece when stitching to the bodice.

Fabric Used: I had a yard and a half of a polyester bottle green taffta from left over fromanother project . It just called out to be my daughter's christmas dress. Then I had some red crepe scraps which was just right to make the red sash. I lined the dress with a black polyester suit lining. The over skirt was forest green 54" wide tulle. I was concerned the color wouldn't be right together but once it laid over the top of the green, the ever so slight color difference could not be seen.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: No design changes were made to the pattern. I had planned on putting roses on the bodice but found with the sash I didn't need them.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I think I may use it again for her Easter dress but do either view b or just a different configuration of view A. I would recommend it to others but I would warn them that is NOT your normal whip up in a few hours dress. The sleeves which made it special are also what could give you fits of frustration. If you are not familiar with how to do tucks, do something else with them first, and then do this one. Also make sure you trim and grade your seam allowances in the neck and sleeves. That will make things lay much smoother and make life easier.

Conclusion: This is a really cute pattern, and looks great on, but I will say this is not a first time I've ever sewn pattern. Be at least an higher advanced beginner before you try it due to the two slightly more advanced techniques required. Otherwise, go for it.

Vesta Patterns

vestapatterns.com

Dr. P. said... (4/14/15 11:30 PM) Reply
No fair - adorable little girl, cute dog, sweet pics of family members - who cares about the pattern at that point! Kidding aside, the dress looks challenging and your review provides an honest assessment of the skills required.
AuntieShel said... (4/14/15 6:35 PM) Reply
If this isn't just the cutest dress on your adorable daughter--perfect Christmas dress!! Your review is very informative and helpful!
shanntarra said... (4/29/14 2:12 PM) Reply
I think the tucks are suppose to be 5/8" .
Tinkerbell5865 said... (4/9/14 5:53 AM) Reply
i am trying to make this pattern but am having trouble with the sleeves. my pattern only has two lines on for the folds and doesnt say how deep to make the tucks. think my pattern is faulty, do you know how big the tucks should be on the sleeve head please

by: Sheila457