Pattern Reviews> Silhouette Patterns> 550 (Cowl Neck Blouse)

Reviewed by:FrammaJoy

More Info provided by FrammaJoy

Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
Fabric:Rayon-Lycra Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
This pattern is a nice cowl neck. It isn't as full and drapey as most cowls are, and that is what I like about it. Silhouette patterns all have B, C, D bust sizing, and I really like that too.

What frustrates me about Silhouette Patterns is how often the photo on the front and the drawing on the back of the envelopes does not match what is INSIDE the envelope.

I used the D-Cup sizing, and it fits well through the bust. I had problems with the sleeves which I detail in my blog if you care to check it. I had to shorten them a lot, and they were not as pictured on the envelope. On me, the shoulder seam is an inch further back than I like it, and it is not because the blouse needs to be pulled forward. I put a round back correction in it, and it doesn't pull one way or the other. The shoulder slope is quite off as well.

I think the back neck of the blouse is a little low, so I am making the next one higher. I also widened the shoulders 5/8" to cover my bra straps.

I really like the blouse, and I am going to try it again with more corrections. The directions say you can make it in a woven or a knit, but I'm using knits.

My blog post covering this blouse is:

EDIT: If you will COPY and PASTE all of that link above, it will work. It will take you to the right day on my blog.

Yikes! That doesn't look right. I will try to fix it if it doesn't work. My blog is: www.joyful-expressions.blogspot.com. The date of this post is 1-18-14.
lyndle said... (2/20/15 8:06 PM) Reply
This is really nice on you. The style and fabric both suit you (and I love your expression too).
Aracellis Lopez said... (2/19/15 8:42 PM) Reply
Beautiful blouse. Love the fabric.
sacjeanie said... (2/19/15 3:31 PM) Reply
I love the joy on your face and the shirt has a wonderful drape.
llcriswell said... (2/19/15 9:28 AM) Reply
I love Peggy Sagers' thinking, but I also hae trouble with many of her patterns being so simplified that they do not work for me.
MamaSewing said... (1/20/14 9:02 AM) Reply
Your top looks great on you!
Loop51 said... (1/19/14 6:08 PM) Reply
The top looks great, I made two of them and I love them. The back neckline needs to be stabilized if you use a knit. I just serge the sleeves smaller from the elbow down as I like to push them up during the day. No buttons, no extra width.
threaddy said... (1/19/14 11:14 AM) Reply
Excellent looking. I also like the drape of the cowl ...just a bit not too much. the fabric is yummy as well.
redside said... (1/19/14 10:39 AM) Reply
Cute results! I always love your smile.
ASiverson said... (1/19/14 10:31 AM) Reply
PS The link from Elona works and I am loving the blog!
ASiverson said... (1/19/14 10:22 AM) Reply
The top is cute and looks great on you! I love the expression on your face, it matches your "name" FrammaJoy! I will try Elona's link to your blog and see if it works. TFS, FrammaJoy and Elona, et al!
Annette Wright said... (1/19/14 9:28 AM) Reply
What a stylish top. I'm still new to Silhouette patterns and read all the reviews. I love your blog too.
sew4grands said... (1/19/14 9:04 AM) Reply
Hi Joy, nice to see you posting again. Your top looks great.
Nancy Rhodes said... (1/19/14 7:59 AM) Reply
Cool match of fabric to pattern. LIKE a lot!
Elona said... (1/19/14 2:39 AM) Reply
I think this is the proper link to your blogspot: http://www.joyful-expressions.blogspot.com/ and there we can see all the views of this very nice top. I especially like the neckline, as you do, for the very slight drape there, but I can see the problems you note. That sleeve is truly strange in this day and age, with the fullness taken in by a button and buttonhole arrangement. Peggy says the sleeve of any of her tops will fit into the armhole of any other top, but I have overlaid this cowl top onto several of her top patterns whose sleeves I prefer, and BOY, are they in no way similar!
Harriet29 replied...(2/18/15 11:46 AM)
I noticed the same thing. Just made this and the sleeve was so much narrower at the top - it pulled! Compared to another Silhouette pattern, and at least 1: difference! Will widen for my next one!
Tricia Plummer said... (1/19/14 0:40 AM) Reply
Really cute top but I couldn't see it on your blog either. Where did you get the fabric? I love it!
Elona said... (1/18/14 11:26 PM) Reply
Durn burn it! The top is REALLY cute, but those links are not working
Rhoda K said... (1/18/14 11:18 PM) Reply
I also love your fabric.
Howderj said... (1/18/14 11:03 PM) Reply
I couldn't see your blog post :( looks great though
FrammaJoy replied...(2/19/15 8:16 AM)
If you will COPY and PASTE it, you will get there. It is not a link.

More Knits
More Knits

by: JeannieWat...

by: Jstarr4250

You Sew Girl 200mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)