Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5928 (Misses' Vest and Jacket)

Reviewed by:Sewlful

Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Faux Suede  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Misses Jacket and Vests

Pattern Sizing:14-16

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? A little. Here is the inspiration jacket that got me started.
Inspiration

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes & No

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?i loved this pattern because it was very similar to a pinterest photo inspiration jacket I had been carrying around for months.

Fabric Used: This is a faux suede I got at Hancock's

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I first have to say kudos to Mahogany Sewist, another PR member. She posted a review on this jacket, that had I read BEFORE I attmepted my version, my frustration level would have been substantially less. But I only just read her review. And she was spot on with every single issue she had with this pattern. I hate she had the problems but that means it's a design flaw with the pattern!
As she mentioned, the steps the pattern requires don't make sense. The major one for me was basting the sleeve and lining together. For me, it made the jacket pull in an uncomfortable manner. When I fit the jacket before inserting the sleeves, it seemed fine. After, I had problems. As Mahogany Stylist also noted, there is excess fabric at the princess seams. I altered it several times (even after inserting the lining) and it still doesn't fit the way I think it should. I took the sleeves out at least three times before I finally got them "close" to ok. And even now, I just realized my front drape isn't hanging as it should (didn't even realize that before now!) Good grief.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Again, following in Mahogany's footsteps, this is not a Fast & Easy pattern. Knowing what I know now, I will definitely make it again, just to try and fix what went wrong the first time.

Conclusion: I was SO excited when I found this fabric! I had planned to make this fabulous purple ponte dress and this winter white jacket. I have this great winter white boots that would be a perfect ensemble. I did eek out the jacket and wore the ensemble and literally had work colleagues stopping me to ask about it. That's always fun. But I definitely have to try this again, having learned some things from a much better sewists. I wish I had thought to check with PR BEFORE I sat staring sadly and my sleeveless wonky jacket last week! LOL
White Nightmare

All Together
Available for sale on PR: $18.95 (See envelope)Click to Buy

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!

MrsCharisma said...
Ahhh. Good to know it has issues. This jacket was in my lineup and I'm having issues with another Butterick jacket pattern :/ It does look cute in you with the purple dress!
1/25/14 6:43 PM