Online Sewing Class: More Knits

Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1209 (Monaco Shell)

Reviewed by:Deepika

About Deepikastarstarstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 11/28/01
Posted on:5/30/05 3:17 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
Deepika said... (6/30/05 7:03 AM) Reply
Hi Kashmira, Since I didnt remove the seam allowances for doing the binding on the armholes, that gave me a little more coverage on the shoulders but its still slightly narrow. I would put lingerie guards next time but I don't think its necessary.
aneri_masi said... (6/29/05 8:06 PM) Reply
Just saw this review. You look beautiful in this top. I see that the neck is a little wide, did you have to put in lingerie guards to keep the bra straps from showing?
Hilary said... (6/1/05 2:45 PM) Reply
Deepika, this looks *beautiful* on you! You are right, the neckline is extremely flattering. To me it looks almost like a cross between a boatneck and a v-neck. I may have to try this!
Deepika said... (6/1/05 7:07 AM) Reply
Patricia, depending on the stretch of fabric, I always cut the binding slightly shorter than the armhole/neckline circumference. That way there is no risk of gaping and it pulls it close to the body. But even when I had not bound the armholes and I tried the top on, there was no gaping whatsoever, which is why I am so impressed with this pattern.
patsijean said... (5/31/05 9:43 PM) Reply
I understand using bias binding for the armhole, but, why did you cut it "2 inches shorter than the armhole circumference"? You would have to have stretched the binding while you were stitching it on. Could that be why there is no gaping around the armhole?
munchkin said... (5/31/05 9:40 AM) Reply
Deepika- that top looks great on you! I think you just convinced me to buy the pattern. You very good taste in patterns and fabrics, I find myself looks up your reviews to see what patterns worked well, and what fabrics you used.
AnneM said... (5/31/05 7:16 AM) Reply
The more reviews I see on this top, the more I like it. Great style on you.
Tailypo said... (5/31/05 6:08 AM) Reply
Great looking top, and glad to read it is beginner-friendly. Your cliff-hanger review (what is this v-neck secret?) has clinched it for me and I'm going to give this one a try.
PixieCat said... (5/31/05 5:35 AM) Reply
What a perfect top and the color is beautiful on you!
ChrisK said... (5/31/05 2:21 AM) Reply
Another great Monaco shell, I like the colour on you, it's very pretty. I love this pattern.
diane s said... (5/31/05 0:14 AM) Reply
Nice top! Don't you love the self facings? I used elastic in the armholes, stitched and turned.
Danvillegirl said... (5/30/05 6:29 PM) Reply
Lovely fabric. Glad to read this review. Just read Chris's and I need to make this up. The top fits you well.
PVA said... (5/30/05 6:18 PM) Reply
What a beautiful top! It looks just wonderful on you, & it certainly looks like it would be very comfortable. Thanks for the review.
mamakooz said... (5/30/05 5:09 PM) Reply
Great top! The color looks pretty on you.
jlg said... (5/30/05 4:54 PM) Reply
So pretty on you, Deepika.
CarolynGM said... (5/30/05 4:19 PM) Reply
Very pretty fabric. I like this pattern too -- I don't know why I've only made it once.
BjP said... (5/30/05 3:55 PM) Reply
Great looking tee...fits you so nicely! You have me intrigued about the good instructions for the vee-neck so will have to give it a try.
jemgirlca said... (5/30/05 3:27 PM) Reply
Cute top! That fabric looks really pretty with that pattern. Nice fit, too.
drsue said... (5/30/05 3:22 PM) Reply
Great job! That is a wonderful looking fabric.

by: carrie1858...