Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8889 (Men's Shirt)

Reviewed by:BeulahBirtley

Available for sale on PR: $30.00 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Cotton- Lawn  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
Loose-fitting shirt has collar, collar band, self-lined yoke with forward shoulder seams, side front/side back seams, flat-fell seams, shaped hemline and narrow hem. A: sleeve bands. B: front tucks. B and C: sleeves with pleats, placket and button cuffs.
Pattern Sizing:
34-46. I made a 36.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I made view C and it does look like the line drawing on the envelope not so much like the photo. In one of the photos the model is wearing his shirt with a tie, I have found the finished collar too narrow for that (fortunately it wasn't made for wearing with a tie). It is more loose fitting than the photo, more like its description. My husband usually wears 15 1/2" slim fit shirts and they fit him in a similar way.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Mostly. I have never sewn a men's shirt before so it all felt very unfamiliar. The instructions are detailed but I found it really useful to have an old shirt on hand to refer to. The only two problems I encountered were putting the cuff placket in the right/wrong place, this was my fault for not reading the instructions properly and in step 53 my version of the instructions refers to a diagram of the cuff and Vogue have printed a diagram of the collar, very much not my fault.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the fact that the buttons are covered over, its hard to get everything lined up properly. If you look at the finished version it all lies flat down the front however some of the buttons are at the top or the middle or the bottom of the buttonholes. The side seams are nice also.
Fabric Used:
Liberty Tana Lawn. You can cut the size 36 out of 2 metres easily (135cm wide). Its good to use a fabric that presses well (and has a busy pattern to hide any top-stitching errors ha ha).
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I needed to shorten the sleeves which I found surprising as my husband never has a problem with shop bought shirts.
I missed out the under collar band as others have done because I didn't see the need for it and didn't like the idea of having to topstitch through the middle of the collar.
I didn't put buttons on the cuff plackets as my machine isn't that great at buttonholes and I was trying to reduce the number on show.
I caught the front flap thing down with a few stitches between the buttonholes to keep it flat.
The pattern calls for 1/2" buttons, I know this isn't important but all the many shirts in my husbands wardrobe have 3/8" buttons which is what I used.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would definitely sew it again. I found it challenging but it ends up looking like a proper shirt with a proper collar and proper cuffs which I found very rewarding. It would be nice to put a contrast yoke lining and perhaps cuff lining in.
Conclusion:
Not the easiest pattern I've ever used but well worth the trouble and I'm sure it will be much easier next time. There are more photos here.
Available for sale on PR: $30.00 (See envelope)Click to Buy

DreinPA said...
The collar is narrow, because you omitted the band. The band supports the collar allowing it to rollover a tie. Could you add a comment on the fit of the armhole? My son is quite tall and thin and I'm wondering how you feel this fits your DH versus other shirts he owns. Thank you.
2/2/14 5:17 PM
BeulahBirtley said...
Thanks for your help on the collar but it's not the collar band that's been omitted it's another piece called an under collar band, none of the bought shirts had that piece. I think it could be my cutting/sewing unfortunately. DH says the armhole feels like his normal shirts, he's 5'11" not sure if that helps you judge. I made a half practice one first with body and one sleeve to check fit. Hope it goes well if you decide to sew.
2/2/14 5:34 PM
LTC said...
Well done on your first men's shirt pattern. Love the fabric, you did a great job.
2/3/14 0:55 AM