<< Previous Next >>
|Viewed 84 times|| |
|Reviewed by:||Tonya P|| |
|Posted on:||2/12/14 9:08 PM |
|Last Updated:||2/12/14 9:17 PM|
Butterick Pattern Info
More Info provided by Tonya P
|Pattern Rating:||Highly Recommend |
|Review Rating:|| Very Helpful by 3 people |
|See other patterns in this category: Home Dec |
|Fabric:||Cotton Twill [See other projects in this fabric]|
|Pattern Description: INFANTS’ ROOM: Package includes patterns and instructions for crib sheet A. Crib bedskirt B: contrast deck. Bumpers C. Coverlet D: 381/2" W × 461/2" L, contrast bands and corners. Shade E: mounted outside window frame, fits 36", 42", 48" window widths by 50" L, contrast upper section. Memo board F: 30" W × 20" L. Basket liner G: Small (81/2"), Medium (111/2") and Large (13"). Crib rail liner H: 50" W × 951/2" L, contrast piping and tabs. A, B, C, E, H: cut by measurements provided. |
Pattern Sizing: Measurements are approximate. I made the bedskirt, bumpers, and a valance (by accident)
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? No, but only due to my design changes
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, those that I followed.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? DD sent me a photo of the crib set she wanted for DGD. This pattern was a good jumping off point for that. Pretty much anything needed for a nursery is included. The bedskirt length was fine while the mattress was raised, but ended up too long once the mattress was lowered. The pattern envelope clearly states "measurements are approximate". Unfortunately, I was making this long distance so approximate is what I went with.
Fabric Used: damask Premier Prints Ozbourne Storm cotton twill and white polyester minky dot from OnlineFabricStore; white and gray stripe cotton twill from Carousel Designs on BabyBedding.com; pink polyester minky dot from Minky Delight Fabric; braided pink trim and pink double face satin ribbon from Hobby Lobby
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Bedskirt - the measurements called for were:
sides - 34" X 19"
ends - 31" X 19"
In order to create the skirt with the contrast panel I cut the following:
sides - damask 34" X 10.5"; stripe 34" X 9.5" (somehow I ended up with an extra panel - yeh...no clue how that happened, but it made a nice valance)
ends - damask 31" X 10.5"; stripe 31" X 9.5"
I have no idea why, but for some odd reason I decided to use a .5" seam allowance?? Maybe for the ease of math? Hey...I had just started sewing again after a 30'ish year hiatus. I sewed the contrast panels onto the main fabric before moving on with the construction of the bedskirt. After completing construction I sewed the double face satin ribbon over the seam between the main and contrast fabrics. I only sewed the top edge of the ribbon.
Bumpers - I cut the suggested measurements using damask fabric for all the outer sections, stripe fabric for the inner side sections and minky fabric for the inner end sections. I cut four additional rectangles of minky (2 white & 2 pink - sorry, I can't recall the measurements) for the patches on the outer and inner sides. I sewed these patches on over the main fabric panels and then sewed the satin ribbon over the seams. I made the sides one continuous length as opposed to the separated sections noted in the instructions. I omitted the velcro straps (meant to keep the sections flush with one another) and added ribbon ties at each corner as well as in the middle of each side section. I omitted the bumper forms and used Poly-Fill for the stuffing. I added the braided trim to the top edges of all sides.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is an OOP pattern and I don't have plans to make another. However, if you are looking for a basic pattern to build on, this is a good one to do it with.
Conclusion: This was my first and only crib set. Hindsight being what it is, on the bumpers I should have used the tabs with velcro on all the corners as well as the middles of the side sections and sewn decorative bows on. It would have made it much easier to remove and replace them in the crib. I also should have made a velcro closure on each of the sides and ends and inserted the bumper forms instead of using Poly-Fill. Removing the bumper forms and tossing the cover into the washer would have made DD's life much easier. As is, the bumper can only be spot cleaned. The screenshot photo is the one DD sent to me showing me what she wanted. I saw the $189 price tag and said to myself "Self, that is extremely overpriced!" When I finally finished I said to myself "Self, $189 was a bargain!"
Login to Add a Comment