Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> 2006 (Mr. HP Nice & Easy T's)

Reviewed by:michellep74

Pattern Rating:Highly Recommend
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Cotton Jersey  [See other projects in this fabric]
Background: I was ecstatic to see HotPatterns add a basic men's t-shirt to their Mr. HP pattern line for men about a month ago. Most of the more stylish/current men's patterns are drafted for a slender/athletic figure, whereas my husband is more of the big-and-tall mode. I had a feeling that HP would provide a better starting point for my husband's t-shirts than some of the other men's t-shirt pattern options, and I was not disappointed.

Pattern Description: From the HotPatterns web site:

"Every guy needs a bunch of these classic wardrobe essentials, designed for medium weight knit fabrics like jersey or interlock T-shirting, baby or microrib, or waffle knits, as well as lightweight sweat-shirting or fluid sweater knits.

Relaxed-fit T-shirt has a straight silhouette with a slightly dropped shoulder and a contrast or self-trimmed neckline: choose between a classic rounded crew or shallow ā€˜Vā€™ neckline.

Mix this up with a full length or short sleeve and optional breast pocket for the perfect T. Body & cuffs feature deep stitched hems; T-shirt finishes at the hip.

Wear this everyday basic year-round with your favorite vintage jeans, relaxed chinos or your weekend cargos, or try it as a fail-safe layering piece under a hoodie, a leather jacket or flannel shirt."

For this round of t-shirts, I am sewing long-sleeved v-necks for my husband.

Pattern Sizing:

HotPatterns mens' sizes S-XXL.

I started with the XXL and graded up 2 sizes for my Big-and-Tall husband. Note that as described, this t-shirt has a relaxed fit. The sizing seems to be accurate, with regards to men's RTW; just note that this is a relaxed fit if you are sewing this for an athletic/slender man who prefers his t's to be more on the fitted side.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes! Note that this is a shallow v-neck (as pictured). My husband has an aversion to v-necks, but I've been trying to get him to update his look by wearing them more often. This shallow "V" was actually okay with him.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes. I don't really need instructions for sewing a t-shirt, but these were quite good and suitable for beginners/knit newbies.

The technique for getting the "V" shape in the neckband was new-to-me, easy-to-do, and worked quite well. I will use this technique in the future; I got a nicer-looking "V" this way than I have using other methods.

Also note that all of the seams, notches, etc, lined up. This is a nicely drafted pattern.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Likes:
* Roomy fit through the mid-section. Not every guy is built like Daniel Craig, and the fit of this t-shirt is great for a guy in his mid-30's (like my husband) who has a bit of wear-and-tear on his body.
The pattern includes both short and long-sleeved options and a v-neck and crew neck option.
* The shallow v-neck. I've been trying to steer DH towards more v-necks to update his look in recent years, but he regards the v-neck with suspicion. The v-neck on this t-shirt is shallow enough that he didn't have a problem with it. I finished the shirt on Friday, and he's worn it twice since then.
* The sleeves are nice and long on the long-sleeved view. I often have to add length to my husband's sleeves, but didn't have to with this pattern.
* Trudy's instructions for constructing said v-neck. I hadn't seen this method before, but it's easy and produces a really nice "V".

Dislikes:

None.

Fabric Used:

For the first version (pictured), I used a cotton jersey (with no lycra) that had been marinating in my stash for a few years. Originally purchased from fabric.com.

I am currently working on a version in a merino wool rib knit from a recent FabricMart binge.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

* Graded the pattern up two sizes.
* Added 4" length (DH is 6'2" with most of his height in his torso) to the back pattern piece, 5" of length at bottom CF tapering to 4" at the side seams to give him some extra length over his abdomen.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I plan to sew this many more times. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a men's relaxed-fit t-shirt.

Conclusion:

Great t-shirt pattern for the guys with several options to change things up a bit.

More on my blog:

happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com
Elona said...
Nice review! I also was glad to see this pattern come out, for it could be one of their most useful ones.
2/18/14 5:58 PM
ASiverson said...
I want to get this pattern for my DH, now I will!
2/19/14 4:22 PM
lindawantstosew said...
Just got this pattern in the mail, and I'm really looking forward to sewing it up! My DH is un-athletic, too. I'm considering also pulling off a Small to sew up for myself as a "boyfriend" T. Thanks for the review!!
3/29/14 10:32 PM
LuceLu said...
I am going to try this for my husband. He works out all the time but still has a little in the middle so to speak that he is kind of self conscious about.
5/14/14 9:02 AM