Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1389 (Misses' Jacket, Skirt and Top)

Reviewed by:MilongueraThreads

See other patterns in this category: Suits / Separates
Available for sale on PR: $32.00 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Silk Jersey  [See other projects in this fabric]
***I will post a photo soon, don't worry!***

Pattern Description:
Close fitting, ballet-neck knit top. Elbow-length/3/4-length sleeves. It's view C of the three piece ensemble.

Pattern Sizing:
4-12/12-20. I made a size 14 based on my measurements and previous experience with Big4 patterns (I measure between 14 and 16 at the bust)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Absolutely!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were; in the future I might attach the bands differently - they have you attaching them in the round.

I used my sewing machine to baste the seams (5.0 length, 2.0 tension on my Pfaff) and then used my new BabyLock to serge the seams with a 4 thread mock safety stitch. I used the coverstitch function on the hem instead of the recommended hem finish in the pattern.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It's very comfortable, easy to put together and looks way more complicated than it really is (because of the no-side-seam design feature). It's an elegant, clean style that can go from corporate wear to something very casual depending on fabric choice.

The pattern itself is really well drafted - everything fit together perfectly.

The armholes are really high, as in the pattern photo.

Fabric Used:
Silk Jersey from Mood, in "Dusk Mauve". This barely makes the stretch requirements on the pattern, and in the future when using this fabric I will make the bands slightly longer to accommodate.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made a 1" petite alteration at the alteration lines on the pattern.

I have larger upper arms but when I measured the pattern it looked like the sleeves would work. They did, but the sleeves do feel narrow at the cuff and also a bit short. When I make this again I'll lengthen the sleeves 2" and increase the width of the lower part of the sleeve.

I should look into doing a forward, sloping shoulder alteration the next time I make this. I'd also like to lengthen the top by a couple inches; I feel the petite alteration was the correct thing to do, and the top is long enough to wear (especially with the high-waisted skirt in this pattern), but prefer my tops to be a little longer.

I probably can also use a small swayback/short back length alteration the next time I make this as well, but it's liveable as is.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I absolutely will sew this again. It feels like it will end up being a TNT for me. It's so comfortable and I barely had to alter the pattern, even though I do have some future changes I'd like to make to it.

Conclusion:

Great basic top.

This was the inaugural project for my new BabyLock Diana serger/coverstitch. It's easy enough to put together and it was a great first project to try the coverstitch on.
Available for sale on PR: $32.00 (See envelope)Click to Buy

wingamajig said...
nice review, can't wait for the photo.
4/12/14 9:43 PM