Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8151 (MISSES' TOP)

Reviewed by:jmosew

Available for sale on PR: $22.50 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Cotton-Poly Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Vogue 8151
View A, wrap-style ruched top, view B darted T-shirt with 3/4 length sleeves. I made view A.

Pattern Sizing:
Sizes A, B and C corresponding to 32/26.5/34.5, 34/28.5/36.5, 36/30.5/38.5 inch bust/waist/hip measurements respectively. I cut size B blending to C at the hips. My measurements at the time were about 34/29.5/39.

Did it look like the envelope:
Vaguely. Significant sizing issues, though.

Were the instructions easy to follow:
They were fine. The neck binding came out nicely.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Dislikes:
This view seems to me to have severe sizing issues.

Likes:
I liked the concept of a wrapped, ruched shirt. I'd still like to have one but this will not be it.

Fabric used:
A thin cotton-blend knit, very nice and soft. In spite of its thinness, I think it was still too thick for the best result on the ruching.

Pattern Alterations or Design Changes:
I didn't make any intentional alterations, just machine basted it up as cut. I found the sizing to be huge, so I did a lot of fiddling after initial construction and still am not happy with the results.

I did not flat pattern measure before beginning and this was the pattern that convinced me to never sew another stitch without getting out my ruler first. I just hope I stay convinced rather than falling off the ruler-wielding wagon later!

So, about that sizing.
Waist: Finished waist measurement for size A per my belated flat pattern measurement is a jaw-dropping 31 5/8", five inches of waist ease versus the sizing chart. That's with the 1" seam allowances accounted for. With each seam moving out a 1/2" between sizes, and four seams, that means my B blended to C was 33 5/8" or more around the waist.

Hips: There is no shaping out to the hips, so the measurements are essentially the same as the waist. The length below waist is 9" before you do the ruching, so once the ruching raises is a bit, you really don't get all the way down to full hip level.

Bust: I wasn't able to confidently flat measure the bust because of the wrap, don't know how to do it correctly. However, I can tell you that the bust point is a a rather low 10" below the shoulder seam on size B, per flat pattern.

To size the shirt down as much as possible, I unstitched the sides, and started pin-basting and marking, then just restitched. I think I may have restitched the shoulders too to pull the bust up some, but I can't remember for sure.

In comparing the final shirt back to the flat pattern, it appears that I pulled two full inches out of the front at waistline and bust plus one more inch at the back, a little less at high hip level. As you can see
from the pics, it still bears a significant resemblance to a brown paper sack with a nice neck facing.

Beyond the sizing, my own execution error: I have not done ruching before and in my frustration with the other issues and hurry to get done in the limited time available, I did not think carefully and put the elastic on the back rather than the front of the side seam allowance. So now I have a loosely ruched bum and a baggy tummy, possibly not the best look for me or anyone. Just another reason to step away from the sewing machine if things are not going well!

I sewed the 1" seam allowances on the sleeves and found them to be fine.

Would you sew it again?
I doubt it, for this view. Don't let that put you off view B, though. It's an entirely different pattern, you can see my review of that one separately.

Major warning for this pattern: Unlike in some patterns, Views A and B do not share any pattern pieces. Not just the obvious difference in the front, but the back and sleeves are completely different as well. So if you're reading reviews, I recommend that you focus on the ones for your view and ignore the rest.

Conclusion:
Get out the ruler, or run away. Your call!

Available for sale on PR: $22.50 (See envelope)Click to Buy

Woolygal said...
Thanks for your reviews. I have both patterns in my stash and I'll watch for these issues.
3/2/14 8:31 AM