Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8151

Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Available for sale on PR: $22.50 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Vogue 8151
View A, wrap-style ruched top, view B darted T-shirt with 3/4 length sleeves. I made view B.

Pattern Sizing:
Sizes A, B and C corresponding to 32/34.5, 34/36.5, 36/38.5 inch bust/hip measurements respectively. I cut size B blending to C at the bottom. Note, the pattern as drafted does not go to the hips, seems to end about 6 1/4" below waist.

Did it look like the envelope:
Since I changed the darts to gathers and made the sleeves long, it doesn't look that much the same other than being a fitted knit shirt.

Were the instructions easy to follow:
I didn't look at them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Dislikes:
1. I think the front and back side seam lengths are a little off. I walked the pattern pieces before making any alterations and came out about 3/8" off. Could just be me.
2. I was quite upset with the large variation in size outcome between view A and view B, see below. However, this view is the one with the truer sizing, at least in my opinion.
3. The center of the front piece for view B, which is to be cut on fold, is not a straight line (at least on my copy of this pattern). It curves in at the waist and then back out. That's pretty crazy. So I just trued it up and added back at the side seam
Likes:
1. Shaped side seams for a well-fitting shirt that's not baggy.
2. I felt this view was pretty true to stated size. If my flat pattern measurements are correct size B has a bust of 32 5/8" (slight negative ease), waist of 29 1/2" and size C that I blended to for hip
has a measurement of 34 5/8". Remember, it doesn't go all the way to the hip.

Fabric used:
Some kind of poly blend knit with a sort of "shabby chic" ruffle layer. Some of you may recognize it from a Fabric Mart sale a few months ago.

Pattern Alterations or Design Changes:
1. Added 1.5" in length, and wish I had added even more. I like longer shirts.
2. Got rid of the darts and substituted gathers instead. I didn't think darts in this fabric would look nice. I made a rookie fullness-mover error here: First I moved the dart up 1/2" on the pattern because the bust point was too low. Then I drew my curve for the
gathering line right where the side fold of the dart was. But of course I forgot that since the dart sloped downwards to the side seam, that would still make my gathers way too low. I should have moved that gathering line
up even with bust point. Plus I did not true up the bottom length correctly after my changes. Oh well, live and learn.
3. Made the sleeves long, using the bottom width and sleeve length from view A and blending back to the view B sleeve.
4. Turned, clipped and topstitched the neckline instead of a facing or binding. I just couldn't see my fabric creating a nice binding because of all the loose bits on the ruffle layer. Maybe I should have cut a facing but I didn't feel like it and also I thought it might show through.
5. I snuck out some extra from the 1" side seam allowance for more room in the hips.
6. As noted by other reviewers, the sleeve for this view is very narrow. I agree with all that it this view is not intended to have a 1" SA in the sleeves even though the pattern says it does. I sewed them with a 5/8" seam allowance and I'm happy with the fit on my fairly small arms.

Would you sew it again?
I would sew this view again, with the gathers moved up properly and a slightly different neckline, it's a bit high. I enjoyed playing with the unusual fabric, and I like the way it fits. Not having much bust, I don't think I would sew it with the darts.

Major warning for this pattern: Unlike some patterns, Views A and B do not share any pattern pieces. Not just the obvious difference in the front, but the back and sleeves are completely different as well. I made a size B blended to C of view A and I was absolutely swimming in it, way more so than could be explained by design ease, in my view. So if you are reading reviews of this pattern, I recommend that you focus on the ones for your view and ignore the rest.

Conclusion:
A solid pattern for view B. Not sure whether I'll ever venture back to view A.

Available for sale on PR: $22.50 (See envelope)Click to Buy

stonecutter17 said...
What a nice fit! Thanks for thorough review!
3/2/14 2:51 AM
Danmar said...
I think i's cute and I appreciate the thorough review.
3/2/14 7:05 AM
carolynw said...
Great review - looks good on you
3/2/14 3:48 PM