Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Ann's Cardigan & Tank  (Ann's Cardigan & Tank )

Reviewed by:mudcat

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people
Available for sale on PR: $22.95 (See envelope) Click to Buy
Current Tags What is a Tag:
Fabric:Rayon-Lycra Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: Open cardigan with cascading panels and fold-back front band, front and back waist seams, long sleeves and stitched hems. Scoop-neck tank with shaped waist, winged side vents, unfinished neck, armhole and hem edges. I made two tanks, one in black rayon/lycra and one in a swirl print rayon/lycra from EOS.

Pattern Sizing: XS - XXL. I made the XS based on measurements. I shortened the second one I made by an inch.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Mostly yes. The tank was designed for raw edges and several finishes were included but it wasn't clear if if they were intended for neck/arms and only the hem in some cases.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the way it has curves and being somewhat of a lazy sewist at times I like the idea of raw edges. I made the print first and turned the neck and armholes 3/8" and then top-stitched. I had intended to do the same to the hem but with the points at the edges I decided it wouldn't look very good. I was afraid the pointy edges would be too bulky so I left it alone even other than top stitching 1/2" from the edge.

On the black one I intended to leave all the edges raw but found that the shoulders were than too wide on me so I ended up hemming them the same way as the print. I left the hem raw and didn't top stitch it at all.

Fabric Used: Both fabrics were rayon/lycra. I don't recall where the black came from but I purchased the swirl print several months ago from EOS. My sewing machine didn't like this fabric at all. I struggled to get a good stitch. I tried several needle sizes (all new), changed stitch length, tension as well as with or without zigzag. Not really sure what the problem was. The black rayon/lycra worked fine with my standard 2.5 length and .5 width that I typically use with knits.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None, other than shortening one. I will probably have to widen the hips slightly if I decide to shorten it the next time I make it. Because of my sway back and 10+ inch difference between hips and waist I sometimes have issues with excess fabric in the back.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, definitely.

Conclusion: Easy project that I will be making again.

Available for sale on PR: $22.95 (See envelope)Click to Buy

BeaJay said...
Very nice - love that fabric.
3/3/14 5:15 PM